Outlook desktop integration – not visible for shared mailboxes in Windows

In our organizations we have some shared mailboxes that most users have access to. Emails sent to these often end up as Asana tasks. When viewing the shared mailbox in Outlook 2016 for Mac, the Asana add-in buttons are visible, but when viewing the same shared mailbox in Outlook 2016 for Windows, the buttons are not visible. Anyone else with this problem?

Hi @jaknudsen and thanks for reaching out!

Can you confirm you’ve installed and whitelisted the add-on on your Windows machine too? Syncing Asana with Outlook | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi @Marie, thanks for replying. The add-on is installed on the Windows machine and works just like it should when I use it it my account’s mailbox. But it is not visible for the shared mailbox.

Hi again @Marie, have you had any chance to investigate this any further?

Hi @jaknudsen and thanks for the follow-up,

I’ve done some research but wasn’t able to find this info on my end, so I’ve done ahead and made a task for the Team in charge of the Outlook integration. I’ll get back to you as soon as I have an answer on this topic.

Thanks again for your patience, I really appreciate it!

Have exactly the same issue.

It would be helpful if one of you trialed the original Outlook Add-in (my company’s Stratelyze) Outlook Add-in at Sendana.net for Outlook for Windos to see if it has the same problem and let me know at support@stratelyze.com. Thanks

Hi @Hersh_Leifer and @jaknudsen,

Our Development Team just came back to me and confirmed that our Outlook integration, just like most of the Microsoft Add-ins is not supported in shared mailboxes. In the meantime, you can add your vote here to encourage Microsoft to support shared mailbox with their add-in!

1 Like

Thanks for investigating! I have voted on the issue. The add-in already works for shared mailboxes in Outlook 2016 for Mac-

1 Like

I posed this question to my developer of Sendana, Outlook To Asana - Sendana - #108 by James_Carl the original Outlook Add-in For Asana and here was his answer:
Sendana doesn’t “care” about how the user has Outlook configured, in terms of the account or mailbox type. It just needs an email message of some kind to work with. It will work fine with shared or delegate or primary Exchange mailboxes.

It also does not require exchange and can be used by those that use GMail as server within the use of Outlook For Windows, desktop installation.

Thanks, that’s interesting. How can it work when Microsoft says it’s not possible? Outlook add-ins overview - Office Add-ins | Microsoft Learn

@jaknudsen, If you are willing to try it then you can see. If it does not work then I guess I would need to discuss with my developer why he indicated it would. My developer @EricLegault is a Microsoft MVP so I am sure if you find it does not work that there will be an answer. Thanks