Odd language behaviour

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

If a team member uses a different language than mine, and they create a project, I see the project in their language. If I switch it to my language, some of the interface elements remain in the original language.

Steps to reproduce:

Have a team member who’s using a different language from the one you have set, create a project. Open the project and change the language to your own. Open a task and notice that some of the categories are in your language, and others are in your team member’s language.

Browser version:

Chrome 90.0.4430.93

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @antonio_f, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for flagging this! Could you please try the troubleshooting steps below and let me know if any of these resolves the issue?

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :slight_smile:

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath , thanks for getting back to me! I’ve tried in an incognito window in a browser and also in the just-installed Asana desktop app, and I’m seeing the same behaviour.

In the WebSocket test, I get:

WebSocket connection: Success (2394 ms)

On your status page, I see an ongoing “Major outage” related to the App and API. Could that be the cause?

I assume that browser extensions have no bearing on the desktop app.

Hi again @Rebecca_McGrath,

All services are back up now but I’m still seeing this weird behaviour. Were you able to find anything info on how to fix it? If not, could I file a bug report? Thanks!

Antonio

Hi @antonio_f, thanks for following up! Before escalating this, I’m wondering if you could provide some more details!

Is this issue occuring throughout Asana or just on this one page? Where exactly is this occurring, could you provide a larger screenshot?

FInally, are any other users from your Organization experiencing this? :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath,

This issue occurs in all projects if you view them in a language that’s different from the one they were created. Everyone in my organization sees the same behaviour. Here’s another screenshot:

It’s like certain fields are being treated as custom fields when you switch languages, so they’re not translated (unlike the rest of the page and fields).

Just to clarify before I escalate this, was the project and custom fields created by a user who views their Asana in French, while you view yours English and see this behaviour?

Can you please clarify that the user did not create these fields in French? If created in French, they would not be automatically translated to English for those who view their Asana in English.

Looking forward to hearing back from you :slight_smile:

Correct

They are default fields that are populated automatically, in whichever language the user has selected. When you create a project, you are given the choice to add or change those fields. but the ones I showed are weren’t created by my colleague. I understand that custom fields can’t be translated, but those fields are provided by Asana in all the languages it supports.

Thanks for confirming this, @antonio_f - I’ve escalated this to our Engineering team and will get back to you as soon as I have an update :slight_smile:

Hi @antonio_f :wave:t2:

I have an update from our Engineering team - as I suspected, this is not a bug but intended behaviour. As the user created the fields in French, even though these were default fields, they will not be translated to English for English viewers.

I hope this provides some clarity! :slight_smile:

I see, that’s unfortunate. I hope your devs can appreciate how this might complicate things for multilingual teams. In my case, it’s not a problem beyond a purely aesthetic one at the moment but, as our organization grows, so will the number of languages we use. Could I put in a feature request for automatic translation of default fields (or at least, an option to do so)? Thanks!

I hear you, @antonio_f. I can see how the current setup could lead to confusion.

Of course, you can create a feature request in our #productfeedback category :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.