Not able to attach

Thanks for the quick reply!

A couple of follow-up questions to understand wether or not this is related to your browser or not:

What browser are you using?
Are you able to reproduce with a private window? `
Are you able to reproduce with another browser?

Both answers are no, I did try another browser and I wasn’t able to. I tried to go private in the google browser and still failed.

@Madison_Garcia, could you please try from another network or with your mobile data? Just so we isolate whether or not it is linked to your current network?

Could you also run this test https://connectivity-test.asana.com/ and send me the results?

I ran the test and these are the results.

Also our IT team will be testing it on another network I will let you know how that goes soon.

Thanks @Madison_Garcia, you can also advise your IT Team to follow these steps: Asana supported browsers and troubleshooting steps | Product guide • Asana Product Guide and let know if this helps!

This is also happening to me and my team. None of us can attach files. We are actually trying to paste in web snips, which had been working for over a year without an issue.

I’ve cleared our browsing history/cache and tried to upload incognito, but still getting message “Failed to attach image.png to…”

I ran the connection test that was suggested already as well. Here are the results.

IT has unblocked the urls and the issue still occurs.

Have you tried from another device entirely?

Hi folks and sorry for the delay in responding to you.

We received several similar reports and our team is currently investigating what could be the root cause of this issue.

I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update on my end, thank you so much for your patience!

Hi, I’m an engineer looking into issues with S3 attachments.
Can you try attaching a file with the Chrome devtools open (F12 on Windows, Option-Command-I on Mac)? I’d currently expect you to see the error “ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR” show up in the console.

These issues are usually caused by a network misconfiguration where your router is trying to intercept your connection; this is likely if you don’t have issues with the same machine on a different network.

If the console is showing “ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR”, I’d like to see what certificate you’re seeing when you try to attach:

1. Visit https://asana-user-private-us-east-1.s3.amazonaws.com
  2. Click the lock icon in the URL bar
  3. Click “Certificate” in the menu that drops down
  4. Expand “Details” in the certificate window
  5. Send in a screenshot; if you’re uncomfortable attaching here you can email me at justinowen@asana.com
1 Like

Hi Justin, currently I am not having problems with it anymore it seemed to resolve itself overnight. Although I did still attach the picture in which you ask for. Thank you :slight_smile: I hope this is the correct info.

1 Like

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: I’m not able to attach files to tasks. I can see that it is a known issue, but I don’t now the solution

Steps to reproduce:

Browser version: Google Chrome Versie 77.0.3865.90 (Officiële build) (64-bits)

Upload screenshots below:

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out @Jeroen_de_Jong,

Our team is currently investigating this issue, could you please follow these steps to help us speed up investigations? I’ve gone ahead and merged your post to avoid duplicates. Looking forward to your reply.

1 Like

2 Likes

This is mildly surprising: could you send a screenshot of the Chrome console (open it with F12) when you try to upload an attachment?

2 Likes

I’m having this same issue. Previously received some direction from your support team about this with no success. Here is our prior correspondence…
(Me)
“I’ve been having an issue attaching files for some time now. It started all of a sudden a couple months ago and still persists. Every time I attach a file from my computer, it fails and I receive the message, “Failed to attach (filename)”. See attached for example. This happens every time I try to attach a file. However, it will almost always let me attach if I try a second or third time, but I have to let it fail the first time and try again. I’ve reviewed other Help discussions in your forum for answers but nothing I’ve found has resolved my issue. Any idea why this suddenly started happening and what I can do to fix it?”
(Support)
"Thanks for writing in, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve run into trouble here!
I suspect that this could be caused by a browser issue. I can certainly understand how frustrating this can be, but the good news is that these issues are generally fairly quick to resolve.
If you don’t mind, please take a moment to try the troubleshooting tricks I’ve listed below. One of these is likely to resolve the issue, but at the very least it’ll give me an idea of where to look for the source of the problem:
• Test Asana on another supported browser. If it works in Firefox but not in Chrome, for example, this indicates that the problem may be with Chrome, and one of the steps below may help fix it: Asana supported browsers and troubleshooting steps | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
• Disable browser extensions while using Asana. You can test this by using an incognito or private browsing window. This disables browser extensions by default. If it works in Incognito/private mode, you may need to try switching off some of your extensions to see if any are causing conflicts with Asana: Asana supported browsers and troubleshooting steps | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
• Update your browser to the latest version.
• Clear your browser’s cache.

If you’ve already tried some of these, please still try the others. If your issue is not resolved, please don’t hesitate to let me know and I’ll be happy to dig into this further."
(Me)
"I tried it in Chrome, fully updated, temp files cleared, browser settings reset, and browser restarted. Also tried it in incognito mode.
I tried it in Internet Explorer 11, temp files cleared, browser settings reset, and browser restarted.
I tried it in Microsoft Edge, temp files cleared, browser settings reset, and browser restarted.

Experienced the exact same results in each browser and every circumstance. Every time I try to attach/upload a file from my computer it fails on the first attempt after a couple minutes. But if I wait for it to fail and then go through the same steps again to upload the same file, it will quickly upload the second time. Sometimes I will have to try a third time, but it’s very rare. Another scenario is, I select more than one file to upload; the first file will fail after a few minutes and the second one will immediately upload successfully and quickly. This started happening a few weeks ago and has been doing it ever since. I’ve even replaced my computer since it started; problem did not go away."
(no further response from Support at this time)

I’ve now followed some of the steps you’ve described here, and here are the results…

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated as this is a very annoying issue.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the report @jeffrey1, I’ve transferred this info to our dev team! I’ll update this thread as soon as I have an answer!

1 Like

Hi Jeffrey, I took a look at some of the errors you’re seeing with attachment uploads. It looks like it might be a networking issue on your end – the HTTP request that your browser makes when it tries to start the upload seems to be getting lost in transit.

Sorry that I can’t be more helpful.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to attach files using Google Drive