No Section in Board List

We started seeing “no section” next to the project folder name in the tasks. We don’t want or need that as we don’t use sections in some of our project folders. As far as we are able to tell, there is no section being used in certain project folders.
Steps to reproduce: Create a task and assign to a project. “No section” shows up next to the project folder and no sections are used in that folder at all. Tried following instructions to remove tasks from those sections in list view (followed the steps in this thread Unwanted section "(no section)" in list view - #5 by Natalia), and it didn’t work. Deleted the section and we still see “no section” pop up next to the project name in the task. We need to remove the “no section” from next to the project folder name. I notice in Board view that No section is the default at the top and there is no option to delete, only to rename.

Browser version: Chrome

Upload screenshots below:
Capture

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Sonnia_Hove and thank you for reaching out!

Sorry for the trouble here. You should be able to delete the (No Section) Section from your Board List following the same steps explained in Unwanted section “(no section)” in list view. Please note that at the moment, you need to make sure this Section doesn’t contain any task before you can delete it (make sure to set your view to “All tasks” to confirm this section doesn’t contain any complete task)

Our team is about to launch a new update allowing you to delete Sections whether or not they contain some tasks. Keep an eye on #community-forum-announcements:product-updates to be sure not to miss the announcement!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

4 Likes

I don’t think you guys are understanding the issue here. There are ZERO sections that we have created. If you go to Board view, you can see there is a section called “no section” that we did not create. There is no way to remove all the tasks from the “no section” column without putting it into another column. The issue is that we want ZERO SECTIONS and ZERO COLUMNS in board view AND list view. There is no way to remove the “no section” from Board view. When we try to use list view, which is what we are doing 99% of the time, next to the project name there is a “no section” next to the folder. We want that “no section” to go away. None of your recommendations work and believe me, I have tried following them to the exact letter.

Here is the full project views with ALL tasks turned on. There are zero sections in the project. That’s great! We don’t want any sections.

1 Like

But when you go to the task detail, “no section” shows up next to the project folder name, which is want to go away:

1 Like

Hi @Sonnia_Hove, Marie here, stepping in for Natalia.

Thank you so much for this additional information, it’s super useful to understand exactly what is happening here. It seems that you recently got access to the new Switch between Board and List feature, and I think this is what triggered the issue. With this update, we’re making Sections (from List project) equivalent to Columns (in Board Project), so List Sections are now slightly different; you can learn more about this change in the following article: Setting Up a Project in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide.

In order to create a task in Boards, you have to create a Section to nest your task in (that was always the case). Following the Switch between List and Boards updates, tasks in List projects now need to be nested in Sections too, hence why they appear into a “No Section” Section.

I understand this is disturbing your workflow, and I’m really sorry for the inconvenience. I have gone ahead and escalated your feedback to our team. Again, so sorry for the trouble, while I know this doesn’t resolve your issue, I hope it helps you understand why this is happening. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

1 Like

I guess that point is that we don’t want or need Board view in certain folders, so it seems odd to force us to use a section in Board view that would then force a section into List view. We created the project folders a while back in List view specifically because we didn’t need any of the Board view functionality. If there is any way to remove Board view from a folder, that’s what we need so we can go back to not needing to use sections or assign to a section in the project tasks.

2 Likes

HI @Sonnia_Hove and thanks for the follow-up here. I’m afraid it is not possible, just like you can’t remove other views like Timeline or Calendar from a project.

1 Like

We are having the same issues.

1 Like