New! Track time on your Tasks in Asana ⏱

We’re really excited about the possibilities and groundwork you’re laying with time tracking. I know it won’t be until next year, but I can’t way to see how this could integrate with Harvest once the API write access is available.

Time tracking in Harvest is a critical part of our workflow due to how we invoice. Right now, we can see the total time tracked to a task in Asana by clicking the clock icon, but the potential of seeing that on the task, in the list view and potentially in dashboards has me dreaming big. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Great idea to deliver the update using a video. Looking forward to seeing more about the time tracking.

2 Likes

This is such great news! One question, is there a way to delete or make a change to the estimated time section? I was experimenting with it and put a sample time in one of my tasks, and now I can’t delete it or change it.

1 Like

I’m trying to create time reports with charts, but when I select Actual Time on Y-axis the possibility of selecting Asignee on X-axis disappears - it only lets me select Creator.

It would be amazing to be able to use this feature still in 2022 as I would like to migrate timetracking to Asana in 2023 starting in January.

7 Likes

So excited about this!! I’ve been using Toggle and Hubstaff integrations for years for personal use but I think this will be very useful for the entire team.

Thanks!

1 Like

A client would like to see in a project (Dashboard, sum, whatever) accumulated time by Assignee. I don’t see how that’s possible now, and don’t see in the video and post about the three releases when it’s expected. See below for a more detailed explanation…

(See also this post above, with screenshot, for a related question: New! Track time on your Tasks in Asana ⏱ - #60 by Matheus_Vaz)

I’ll use this example project to explain the issues:

Related to @anon27973992’s post, in Dashboard I thought I could create a chart to show accumulated actual time by assignee. But if I choose x-axis of Assignee, then y-axis Actual time, it switches x-axis to Creator; it won’t allow x-axis of Assignee for Actual time (but does allow it for Estimated Time). In what release will it permit Assignee?

I noted that the SUM rows don’t appear for Actual time. That would have worked for me but is not supported. I tried Estimated time and I see that is supported. In which release will SUM of Actual time be supported?

The only current solution I can think of to offer my client is to manually create sections corresponding to each Assignee, then use a dashboard chart like this:

Or is there a better solution?

On another note, Creator is useless is many circumstances because it appears that all form submissions have an empty/blank creator; see the screenshot task “Time Tracking Example submission” Creator column. Couldn’t that be “Asana” or something so as to not exclude all such tasks from Dashboard reporting? Or is there something I’m missing here?

Thanks,

Larry

8 Likes

Hi folks :wave: Dropping in with a small update from the Product team:

We have reevaluated the timeline for “API read-only” and will be moving this from Release 1 to Release 3 in Late January.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What does the “subtask rollup” feature (in late January) mean?

Aaannddd Release 1 has now been fully rolled out to all Business and Enterprise users. :tada:

As a reminder, here is what is included in Release 1:

If on a Business or Enterprise plan, you can enable Time Tracking via the Customise menu in any project :stopwatch:

Please let me know if you have any questions or are not seeing the Time tracking option in your Customise menu on a Business or Enterprise plan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Kristen_Barber, this means that time tracking in the first layer of subtasks will roll up and be included in the time tracked on the parent task :slight_smile:

Hello, will we be able to enable recurring time-tracking notifications? As an example: If we have a client that we’re working with monthly, can the time start over and send a notification to us when that happens?

To clarify, will the time start over the next month that we’re working on their project? (We have recurring agreements with clients so we do the same amount of work each month)

Hi,

This sound great. But as many others here we only have the premium subscription. :cry:
May i suggest that when this is releases that maybe we as Ambassadeurs somehow can show this of to the rest of the company? I think this would help me by giving me arguments towards the leadership to upgrade to the Business subscription.

1 Like

@Patrik_Haasz I am sure Asana will prepare some more guides and videos to show how awesome all the time tracking features will be.
There are quite some reasons to give to your management to convince them to upgrade such as:

• Not having to switch tools or using various tools when so much can be done within Asana (in most cases that not only saves everybody in the team some time with not having to switch but also for the accounting department they’d only have to keep track of fewer tool subscriptions.
  • More within Asana means easier to create more reports, and better monitoring (to see what might be inefficient and what not, meaning processes that take longer than expected can be improved, etc)
  • and more
2 Likes

I had a question below, please :slight_smile:

Just realized this is only available to business and enterprise users :cry:

Would be nice to include that information in the announcement…

2 Likes

@Rebecca_McGrath I’m not sure if @anon27973992 or @lpb was omitted, but the problem mentioned is quite serious because it forbids the user from fully using the time-tracking functionality; apart from collecting how much time each task takes, the project owner should also be able to check how much time was spent between team members per project/week/etc.

now it is not possible

5 Likes

Hello. where can i get the reporting feature for Track Time?

Can the Actual and Estimated time fields within the tasks total and “roll-up” to the project level for project level reporting?

3 Likes

This will likely be a great feature for my team in the future so excited to see more about it as it rolls out. However, I clicked on it in Customize without really knowing the impact and would like to turn this off for now, until my team is ready to use time tracking in Asana. Now I can’t find the option to remove it from the project.

Is there a way to turn off this feature for a project?