Nested tasks/subtasks in templates

Hello Everyone!

Very busy lately, so silent in the community (sorry for this)…
I have a question for the template masters/subtasks lover out there!

I have a custom template I have created. Inside the template, there are some tasks which I use as “task templates”. After creating the project from the template, I copy those tasks a few times as they contain subtasks I need to repeat a variable number of times. (imagine the task template being a blog post)
Now, these “task templates” have subtasks which I have added to the template project as well. I do this because in the main project I need to have a unique view of the project.

Again, the idea of having the subtasks as part of the main template task is for ease of duplication and organisation. The idea of having the subtasks as part of the project is for allowing a birds’ eye view on the project deadlines.

TEMPLATE

• TASK A
    • Subtask A < belonging to the template project as well
    • Subtask B < belonging to the template project as well
  • TASK C
  • Subtask A
  • Subtask B

Now, when I create the project from the template, the subtasks gets duplicated inside the template, and I end up with this:

TEMPLATE

• TASK A
    • Subtask A < belonging to the new project as well
    • Subtask B < belonging to the new project as well
  • TASK C
  • Subtask A
  • Subtask B

NEW PROJECT FROM TEMPLATE

• TASK A
    • Subtask A < belonging to the new project as well
    • Subtask B < belonging to the new project as well
  • TASK C
  • Subtask A
  • Subtask B

With the notable exception that sometimes not all the subtasks are cloned.

Of course, after the duplication, I need to go and clean up the new project and the template as well…
Any help/idea available?

2 Likes

Hi @Carlo! Very thorough! This looks great. I want to help, but I’m not quite sure what your question is. Could you clarify what help / ideas you’re looking for?

1 Like

Hi @Alexis

Sorry for the long-winded introduction without a clear message. I guess it is a “bug”.
I have a task which is both a task(a) of a template and a subtask of another task(b) of the same template.
When I create a new project based on that template, the subtask(a) is duplicated and added to the task (b) of the TEMPLATE instead of the COPY. I end up with subtasks duplication in both the template and the copy

Does it make sense?

1 Like

Hi Carlo! I’m still a little bit confused, but I think I understand. You’re basically seeing more copies of subtasks than you should, so your template project is getting flooded with new subtasks. Right?

Hmm this does sound buggy, to be honest. Or it might be the (accidental) intended functionality. I’ll report this to our product team. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi Alexis,

I know it is a bit brainy (but I promise there is a logic behind it all). Do you want me to give you access to a team in which you can try it and see for yourself?

Ciao
Carlo

Thanks for the offer but no need to share. I actually just looked into our bugs project and it appears that this is a reported bug. I’ve added your report to the list. Hopefully we’ll have a solution soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for looking into it! :smiley:

1 Like

Has this been fixed? I am having the same issue and its driving me insane!

1 Like

Bumping this, hoping this gets fixed soon. It’s driving me nuts and makes using templates extremely frustrating that I always have to clean up the template after creating a new project from it.

Any update on this? I am still seeing this happening.

While we are still in beta and only handle 1 level of subtasks I would be interested how our utility which can copy task from a project to another project or project to new project handles this. www.stratelyzedemo.com

Any update on this @Alexis

We have a need for the same functionally described here (to use templates with tasks which have subtasks embedded attached to a project). Is there any word on the timeline on this bug fix?

2 Likes