Need to delete a 'section'

Hi,

I’ve read a recent conversation that explains to delete a ‘section’ you need to first go to all tasks view and remove any completed or uncompleted tasks to be able to delete that section. Problem is, that we have heaps of completed tasks under a section that we don’t want to remove/delete permanantly as we look back on these regularly, but we definitely don’t need the header ‘section’ any longer. I need to delete them from my view. At the moment I’m naming them Remove1, Remove2 etc and moving them to the top of my list view to avoid me seeing them and feeling frustrated… help!

2 Likes

Hi @Sophie_Stevanov, I would recommend adding your vote to Archive a Section in a Project. We’re about to bring up a new update allowing you to delete Sections even if they do contain tasks, but that won’t suit you since you need to be able to look back at these tasks. Your current workaround is probably the best until we come up with a solution to archive Sections!

3 Likes

Hi Marie,

Okay, thank you. It looks like I’m going to have a hundred of these very soon… I’ve been using sections to separate tasks into stages of an onboard and so by the end I’ll have up to 6 or 8 sections variously named with headings like “To Call” or “Onboard” etc, there’s never really an occasion where all subtasks are ticked as complete either.

Hopefully, it’s sorted soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue. I remember this not being an issue before. Is this new? I used to create and delete sections all the time in my projects.

Hi @Marie, Is there any way I can delete these sections I have floating around
at all? I don’t even know how to find completed or incompleted tasks that are ‘assigned’ to them now.

@Sophie_Stevanov,

We’re launching a new feature allowing you to delete Sections, even if they do contains tasks. This new feature is currently available to 50% of users and will soon be available to everyone. From what I can see, it hasn’t yet been enabled on your account; so we have two solution:

1. Wait a couple of days for this feature to be enabled on your account and you will be able to delte Sections following these steps: Setting Up a Project in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

2. Manually delete your Sections today following these steps:

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi Marie,

Thank you for your assistance.

I think I’ll need to wait for the update as when I go to my ‘All Tasks’ view I’m met with literally thousands of tasks that date back to 2014 and it appears that I’m unable to search for a ‘section’ name in the global search bar. Needle in a haystack.

Again, thank you - hope the rest of your week goes well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same case with me. I can’t remove sections as it’s greyed out.

I have a section named ‘14-19 Oct 2019’, removing completed tasks in those sections were against our workflow as we have arranged lots of tasks based on week.

Any ETA on this feature to be available?

Hi @Leonarce,

The feature to allow you deleting a Section with all this task is currently available to 50% of users, we’re hoping to roll it out to all our customers in the next couple of days!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem in one of my projects even though there weren’t even any closed tasks in the sections - still couldn’t delete them. But when I switched to Board view I could delete the sections as columns! Hope this can help someone else!

Best regards
Per

1 Like

@Marie, I’m currently experiencing the same issue. I created a new section but no longer needed it, but since it’s the only section, it won’t let me delete it — even with nothing associated with it! Any way to delete this? I’m trying to create a template, so there are currently no tasks in the project at all. I have several rules set up, so I really don’t want to start over, but I will if I have to…

Hi @olson.dan can you confirm if you’re using a List or a Board project? Could you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

I’m in List view, but it also won’t delete in Board view.

Hi @olson.dan, thanks for sharing the screenshots!

Please try adding a new task above your “Untitled Section”, then you should see the option to delete it.

If you can, please keep us updated and let us know if it works! Thank you :raised_hands:

1 Like

Any time I had added a task, it immediately went into that section. BUT, it did allow me to drag and drop it above the section today, allowing me to delete it! Thank you! This is resolved.

2 Likes

Hi Emily. I am trying to delete a section from a “My Task” board shared with me. I am capable of creating sections and tasks, even deleting tasks, but not sections.

Thanks for your help.
Javier

Attached image.
Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 13.24.02

Hi @anon83099625, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! It seems you are trying to delete the “Recently Assigned” section. Please also note you will be able to rename this section but you won’t be able to delete it, is it possible that the “To Delete 2” section used to be called “Recently Assigned”? You should be able to confirm if this is the section by hovering over Delete section.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 16.15.48

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.