My Tasks for multi-day tasks II

I’m opening a new topic to respond because the original was closed.

//The rules I set up exclude those sections so you can prevent the hassle of those tasks moving sections when you don’t want them to, yet still use dates if you want to.//

@lpb I do like your strat in general (and thank you so much for the clear explanations!) However, I do not understand this part. Let’s say I want to work on my task every day for the next 3 weeks. I set the date 5/17-6/7 and I put it in my “Daily/Today” section. Works fine until 5/31 – at which point my rules chuck it into “Upcoming”. What am I missing?

///I’d say you keep your multi-day tasks on one-side and have a single daily task that says “Check multi-day tasks in My Tasks” with the time spent attached (5 minutes?). That way you have the best of both worlds: a daily reminder with actual time spent on them, and you do remember to check on those tasks sitting in your My Tasks.

Bonus: the recurring task could contain a link to each task you need to check, allowing you to hide those tasks in the Later section of the My Tasks.//

@Bastien_Siebman I do like this and I think it might work! I think I would keep the time spent on the original multi-day tasks, though, since a recurring task will only show up in Workload the one time.

Hi @Katie_Kendle,

What I meant was to make your rules more specific by including section names in the trigger. I believe you don’t currently do this so, regardless of section, any task is moved when it’s a week out or a day out. Instead, only have these rules apply to the Later and Upcoming sections:

• Due in a day and in Later, move to Today
  • Due in a week and in Later, move to Upcoming
  • Due in a day and in Upcoming, move to Today

So the Daily/Today section is protected; no rule is looking there.

If you’re using the Pending section, then you may want:

• Due in a day and in Pending, move to Today

Does that help make it more clear?

Larry

1 Like

@lpb I think what was throwing me was the trigger terminology “Task moved to a section”, since I wasn’t moving it. But I think you’re saying that to Asana, this just means to check that section only. So the first rule you describe looks like this:

Thank you so much for the clarification!

1 Like

Yes, exactly! I’m not sure why Asana chose to name the rules that way; it’s really “Task in or just moved to a section”. Glad you caught that; I’m used to that so I forgot to mention it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.