Multi-home Task Templates in Project Templates 2.0

Although I love Project Templates 2.0, one feature I would love to see that would be a huge time-saver for me is the following use case:

Current State:

• I have multiple types of Onboarding Project templates for particular types of positions
  • I am responsible for the IT setup for each person onboarded, which is usually the same type of task(s) but given there are multiple onboarding templates, I have to manually go into each template and update the IT tasks to ensure consistency across all onboarding templates if I have to make a change

Ideal State:

• Multiple project templates for each type of onboarding
  • Task template for IT Setup that when I set it up, I can multi-home the task template in other templates (kind of like how you can multi-home regular tasks, but this function would be limited to task templates being able to be multi-homed between other project templates)
  • Once a project was made from the template, the task template, turns into a regular task that only lives in that created project (unless you have specified that the task should be auto-multi-homed in another project) - this way you can avoid the action of completing the task it no longer appearing in any of the other templates it appears in.

This way, I don’t need to keep multiple tasks templates updated, but rather, just one task template updated system-wide.

I recognize this would necessitate moving task templates to be above the project-level in the system, but I argue this is better in the long-run anyway, just like Custom Fields are increasingly becoming more system-wide.

5 Likes

Hi @pdmcdermott, thanks for providing this feedback!

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

This would also be a huge help to me. We use Asana to track the production of different types of reports but the workflow is largely similar, writing, editing, designing etc… Instead of using one template and tweaking it for each product type OR having multiple templates requiring multiple updates on essentially the same task, if tasks could be multihomed in templates (but not once the template is used), that would allow us multiple templates without having to make updates across each template for tasks that are the same.

For example

Task A - Template 1 only
Task B - Template 1 & 2
Task C - Template 1 & 2
Task D - Template 1 & 2

A huge +1 from me

3 Likes

I could perhaps be misunderstanding the goal … wasn’t this already supported in Templates 1.0?

With Templates 1.0, I was able to have any task in the template belong to an unlimited number of Projects … and if I selected only Projects that were templates, I was able to maintain a single task templates and use it across unlimited templates.

With the VERY HUGE benefit of only needing to update/maintain 1 task, vs a separate copy of the same task in every template.

Can we please have this functionality back in Templates 2.0? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding? Did it really get totally removed?

Things became unsupported when Asana migrated from v1 to V2. That’s why I created Project templates V2: what we gain, what we lose