More options for Email Notifications

Are the member notification setting only available in premium? i"m not seeing how i limit my project notifications.

To set the notifications for a project, click on the members’ list of the project, then select “Manage member notifications” at the bottom of the window. This is not a premium feature.

@Julien_RENAUD:

… so that you don’t end up with a big mix of notifications… and you deal with only one Inbox…

So we can agree that, ideally, we would minimise the number of inboxes we check, and the noise in these inboxes :slight_smile:

In that case, everyone will definitely still use email. Let’s try to minimise the noise in that instead of juggling that AND the asana inbox.

Maybe if you’re working in a dedicated role, you could sit there in front of Asana’s inbox and treat it like a ticketing system. But if you’re managing other people, you’re probably also managing a whole lot of external contact via email.

The comments from others here apply to me too - too much noise (likes; attachments etc) mean you just skip over the asana emails, and eventually turn them off. Then you keep working from email like you always did. Then every few weeks you realise “oh no! I haven’t been checking asana messages!” and you go in and catch up on a bunch of outdated questions you were asked etc.

Looks like Asana aren’t that open to this being a genuine problem. To be honest, it’s the number one reason I’m currently looking elsewhere.

I will try setting up email rules to mark the unimportant stuff as read. But then… I would have to get everyone else on the team to do that same thing for this to work.

2 Likes

Hello Tim,

My message you quote a few lines does not say that the Inbox is perfect indeed, it was just a sharing of experience in the way we use Asana in my company (I do not work for Asana).
Today, with some exceptions, we reserve:

• Asana for internal communication
  • Email for the external
  • Chat for urgent, informal things

We made it a habit to automate the opening of the mail, calendar and Asana pages for everyone every morning, so that people do not forget to go to Asana every day.

When I say “that you don’t end up with a big mix of notifications” with Asana, it is because the Asana Inbox will group the notifications per project, and the next time you open the inbox it is more convenient to follow what’s going on, while mail does not do that and you end up with with big mix in the email list.

In spite of that, a more detailed parameterization could be useful, without that complicating too much the tool.

In summary we separated the uses of each tool, and automate the opening of the necessary pages daily, but again this is just a share of experience in case it could help someone.

Julien

Hello All,

I have a scenario wherein I want to manage the notifications to slack. So I want only ‘Task Creation’ notification to be popped up in the respective slack channel and nothing else. Basically when I change the owner or complete the task I dont want it to be notified in the slack channel. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @atul.anvekar

At the moment you are unable to customize the types of notifications that come in from Asana. You either receive the following notifications of activity in your Asana or you don’t.

Since this was asked in a previous, I’m going to merge this with an existing thread with lots of good tips (check them out above :point_up:) on how to minimize your inbox noise, though ultimately, you are unable to customize which notifications you receive the way you’d like. Hope their tips help int he mean time!

1 Like

Hi @Michael_A, Thanks for your quick response. I will go through the thread and look for things that I can use.

Thanks,
Atul

1 Like

I agree there needs to be more granularity in managing Asana notifications generally.

For a start, being able to NOT get them on the weekends would be wonderful - or not when you are on vacation…

Agree! Please make notification settings more customizable. This would really help my team.

1 Like

I second the requests for more customization. I would like to get notifications when someone “calls me out” versus the too broad choices currently.

I also would like to request that you can turn off inbox notifications for your own completed objects. If I complete a task, I don’t also need to know about it in my inbox. This feature actually renders my inbox unusable.

I have the same issue with too many notifications. Until those notifications might or might not be more customizable, how do you deal with the emails in your outlook? Did you manage to create a rule to put them into one folder?
It is impossible for me to even set a rule on the notifications as the sender email address varies all the time. My inbox is a mess with all those notifications.

1 Like

I am looking for an email setting that only sends an email when the person (@someone) is mentioned in the task comments. Is that possible?

Hi @Preston and apologies for the late follow-up! As it stands, it is not possible to customize email notifications to only receive an email notification when being @mentioned. You can vote for this feature on this thread :point_down:

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the thread above to gather all feedback, hope that’s ok! :wink:

3 Likes

I agree this is a HUGE problem to my rolling out my team in Asana!

1 Like

I totally agree. Unfotunately it seems to me that this is a large part of why our team hasn’t really embraced Asana and therefore it has been laying pretty much unused for most users. It’s kind of like the boy who cried wolf, when they get so many notifications that are not really important/necessary/relevant then they just start ignoring them all because they don’t have time to wade through them to find the important/relevant ones… unfortunately that means they also miss the important ones. So most of them have just given up and gone back to their old unreliable ways of managing tasks(to do lists, pieces of paper, post its, etc) and they literally never open Asana. I’ve been holding out and hoping that Asana will offer more granular notification options soon so that I can then start pushing it as a solution because I think it could really benefit us but at the moment this issue is quite a deal breaker in trying to get users to persevere with it. Unfortunately I fear that eventually the boss will decide it’s a waste of money and cancel our subscription.

2 Likes

Agree that the way it is currently setup is ridiculous.

Invite a new user to a project, instant email spam until they figure out how to turn off ALL notifications.

This is literally the very first impression many users will have.

Big time fail.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time getting users to adopt Asana because they quickly learn to ignore the flood of email delivered to their inbox.

By default, the only email that new users should receive should come as a result of another user ‘at-mentioning’ their account in the body of a task or comment.

If it is already the case that users will be notified by email when all “To Email” settings for a workspace are unchecked, please add documentation to this effect in-app.

1 Like

@asana - is there any plans to add this direct mentions email notification? My team also just turns off the email notifications because it emails them when any tasks are marked complete, etc. I’d love to have it allow your INBOX to filter for only meaningful notifications too…I don’t need to know when ever task gets marked complete…i’d prefer to know mentions, changed dates, comments, attachments, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging this @Mark_Hudson; I’ve just merged them!

1 Like

It would help a lot if there was an option to enable email notifications for tasks that reached a due date for collaborators and not just the person assigned to the task.

1 Like