Meet your new My Tasks

We have an enterprise account but no news as far as I’m aware with not long left to the end of the month

1 Like

I definitely think Asana needs to add some additional ‘free’ rules to ‘my tasks 2.0’
Under the circumstances (ie the current limited functionality) we really need additional rules
to enable personal workflows. Personally I’m currently using another project to handle ‘my tasks’
until Asana’s ‘my tasks 2.0’ is useable.

Desired rules (for My Tasks 2.0)

• Trigger: move to a section>> Outcome: add custom field to task
  • Trigger: move to a section>> Outcome: add task to a project

Asana are you planning to add any functionality to search around ‘my tasks 2.0?’
Also when we select multiple tasks in another project, shouldn’t we be able to move tasks between ‘My Tasks’ sections?

Just a follow-up, since I’m sure everyone is on the edge of their seats with my personal struggles with this change.

I’m trying to make this work, but keep running into complications of user interface which is really slowing me down.

Foremost, I took advantage of having various sections in the former “Today” category and those would change often as my workload changed. Now, I can’t get rid of them because they have tasks tied to them and I need that history. Why can’t I you ask? Mostly because when you have hundreds of tasks, it just takes too long to load and move them appropriately using the interface provided.

Any help here is welcome, I feel like this conversion to the lifestyle decision Asana promoted with “Today, Upcoming, Later” will take me more time to fix than Asana saved me by promoting that workflow. That’s not true entirely, but it will take more than a day to fix.

4 Likes

I have to say that this, in my opinion, is just the worst Asana update and has totally destroyed my workflow practices using Asana. The inability to have recurring tasks, or tasks assigned with Due Dates automatically work through later, upcoming and today and the removing of the keyboard shortcuts for this is a terrible decision and one that came with no warning. Whenever a recurring task is completed it goes to Recently Assigned, and to make it go to the correct place, I have to manually drag them all to Later.

Also, on My Tasks, I have also lost the ability yo drag and drop to reorder the tasks in My Tasks, which I used to rely on to order and prioritise my day.

As an Asana devotee, I was getting close to convincing our company decide to deploy Asana company-wide, however on the back of this update we are now evaluating other options. It’s just a shame but I doubt Asana will revert this update.

17 Likes

Those of you following this thread may appreciate having a look at a comprehensive My Tasks article I published today which offers helpful clarifications and alternative approaches. Here’s my Forum post that introduces it:

Thanks,

Larry

cc: @Jason_C @Ben_Studer @Tim_Jasper @anon43779106 @Unprofessional @Bob_Weber @EmilyCarter @Dan_W @Luc_Jutras @Sam

6 Likes

Thanks for this new feature. While it’s interesting and I imagine it allows even new features coming in it broke several flows I’ve been using (user since 2011):

• Shortcuts stopped working - already mentioned. Alternatives mentioned by @Marie won’t work from other views than My Tasks.
  • Recurring tasks - already mentioned. While it requires extra steps it would be great to automatically move them to Later.
  • One thing that wasn’t mentioned is today’s tasks break down per project. I’ve been using a custom report for this and it’s essential to my workflow. Right now the report stopped working because you can’t search for tasks in the specific section. In the “Sort” menu you can actually sort by project but it shows tasks from all sections Today/Upcoming/Later. There is “Sort within section” option but it doesn’t work. Please, allow creating a view like this.
1 Like

@Bartek_Nowotarski,

I just added:

so I hope you’ll vote there.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Its sad to know that auto promotion feature is being removed and it is going to be added onto the rules feature, which means free users who were benefiting from this may not have this, unless we move to the paid tier. This strategy removing features and adding them back as a paid feature…is not ASANA like.

4 Likes

I could not agree more, and what is equally frustrating is that a single free user can only upgrade to 5 users minimum on the paid tier. Which means that a single user of Asana cannot get the benefit and features of the paid version unless they pay for an additional 4 users that they will never use! I just cannot understand why Asana do not allow single user subscriptions on the paid tier. Surely there is a lot of missed revenue opportunity there. So if you are a freelancer for example and do not work as part of a team or a small startup business with 2-3 users, then Asana is out. As the business grows and the asana subscription users grow with it. But in this case a small startup is likely to use an alternative and grow with that instead.

2 Likes

Still don’t have it. When will I get the new feature?

1 Like

@Jason_C & @Karkuvel

Free users are getting in the rules function for their My Tasks only.

Have a look at @lpb post…

Regards

Jason.

3 Likes

I use Asana since 2014, I’m a fan.
After “Today/This Week/Later” feature, got a productivity boost.

Now this feature is removed, adding a new feature that from the user perspective does not aggregate value. My workflows are broken and my daily routine impacted.

This feature + web platform were the competitive advantages that made me keep into asana and recommend asana anywhere I go, and not to choose others that offers the same daily organizing flow such as 2Do or Omnifocus.

I really hope this flow gets available for paid versions only, otherwise this will show ASANA WAY OF DOING CHANGED and does not align with any values I look for in organizations.

That being said, I wait for a quick solution. Meanwhile is time to try another tools out there.

9 Likes

I can see benefits from the changes, like some users who might prefer a board layout. But the two things that are destroying my workflow are:

1. No keyboard shortcuts (the suggested ⌘ ⇧ ↑ / ⌘ ⇧ ↓ shortcuts to move between sections don’t work with collapsed sections apparently also rendering them pretty useless)
  2. Breaking the hack so that all recurring tasks appear in Recently Assigned. This compounds issue #1 and really makes My Tasks a chore to use in its current state.

Hoping for quick fixes!

22 Likes

I still don’t have the new My Tasks either. The timelines all suggested it would be fully rolled out by late April. As my org’s admin, I’d like to be able to give my users an accurate expectation of when they’ll see their workspace change.

Hi,

WIll the tasks in Upcoming and Later move to Today when the due date is today?

Thanks.

2 Likes

This looks great. Looking forward to further customising my My Tasks page.

1 Like

It looks like keyboard shortcuts stopped working, no TAB+Y, TAB+U or TAB+L anymore, even if the docs still mention it. Is it a bug or a feature? It’s a major problem for me.

11 Likes

Any timeline for the fast fix? Between the bug where recurring tasks get put into Recently Assigned, and replacing a single keystroke with half a dozen or more (or reaching for a mouse) to move tasks to Upcoming or Later, this is a perfect storm of making Asana infuriating to use.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

@Vanessa_Gardner we are planning to start gradually rolling out the new My Tasks to existing Business and Enterprise customers starting the end of May. You will be notified about the migration 2 weeks before it takes effect on your account.

@Tim_Jasper we are planning to implement custom fields in My Tasks in future updates! In regards to the second rule “move to a section>> Outcome: add task to a project”, you can currently create this trigger with the custom tule builder.

As it stands, you can search by tasks assigned to you and select a specific criteria. However, we don’t have immediate plans to implement the option to search within sections in My tasks.

When you multi-select tasks in a project, you will be able to move tasks between sections in that project but not in your My Tasks. If you access each task, you will be able to update its section.

1 Like