Mass edit task description

It would be a huge time-saver if you could mass edit the task description field, similar to how you can select multiple tasks and update the assignee, due date, and custom fields.

Use case: I am creating a project for training materials that need to be created. The tasks are the individual pieces of content that need to be created. I have specific information regarding the content that I want the owners of the tasks to complete. I created a task template for future tasks guiding them on how to fill out the description, and I want to apply this same guidance to the task description of the tasks that already exist.

The only way to do this now is to export, edit the description, and import the .csv file to update the tasks. This is more time-consuming than being able to do it in-app.

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

Hi @Grace_Elliott , welcome to the forum :wave:

If you have access to Rules (i.e. on a Premium/Starter or Business/Advanced tier) then you could create a section in your project, let’s call it ‘Update description’ .

Then create a rule like the one below, i.e. when tasks are moved to ‘Update description’ section, then update the task’s description with [this]. Note that your new description in the rule will clear any existing description in existing tasks. Also note, the trigger could be anything else - I just used ‘moved to section’ as an example.

Once the rule is set up, try moving one task into the ‘Update description’ section to see if the result is what you want. If ok, then move all tasks into that section. Once done, delete the section (keep all tasks) and also delete the rule if you no longer require them.

I understand this is a bit of a workaround and not what you are ideally requesting so I’ve marked it as such.

Don’t forget to vote for yourself - use the purple ‘Vote’ button in the top left corner of this thread :wink:

2 Likes

Whoa! This is awesome!! I didn’t realize you could create a rule with a trigger to set the task description. Super helpful! Thank you!