Is it possible to set up a way for people to send a text message to a number and that text will show up as a task in Asana?

Hi!
I have several staff members, etc, that are not ‘wonderful’ at creating tasks in asana. They often text me and then I have to put the task in asana myself. (I have a lot of neurodivergent staff) and some of them are not big e-mailers, either. I was trying to figure out a way (I do have zapier, too!) to create a ‘phone number’ they can text and that would just show up in “My Tasks”/Inbox for me to review.

I also have several staff members that are my kitchen staff and they don’t even have asana, and they just need to give info. I’m already struggling getting them to use a link to submit a reimbursement receipt. I have a lot of non-tech people. My thought was… even if its just a basic text where the text comes in as the task topic, and I just can see what numberb sent the text in my ‘description’ that would be a great place to start.

I appreciate any help!

I have the highest level of Asana, so I can create rules to make sure I don’t miss it.

Any ideas?

@Bastien_Siebman - i know you’re a guru. Any ideas?

1 Like

Thanks for the shoot out. I believe your best bet is to look at Zapier and existing triggers.

For example a quick Google search pointed me to New Integration: Send, Receive, and Track SMS Messages with TxtSync - Updates | Zapier, which allows you to receive SMS and use a new sms as a trigger. The action could be to create an app :heart:

For emails, there might be a way in Gmail or other email provider to forward any email received to Asana (x@mail.asana.com) and that would create a task everytime.

Let me know if you need more help!

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman I definitely google searched it before I posted; just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything obvious that someone else found that worked, first! :slight_smile:

@Bastien_Siebman : Update 3/14/2022: I tried setting up today where I put my “SMS number” into my account as an email address (In the USA, we can send texts to our phone number if we know the provider email address. so for example, mine is xxxxxxxx@mms.att.net (where the x’s are my phone number)

This WORKS-I can ‘text’ x@mail.asana.com and it will put a task in my inbox. HOWEVER, it puts whatever I texted in the description and not as the task name. BOOOOO. So close to a free/easy/simple solution.

HOWEVER, maybe there is a way in flowsana or something to create a rule . I was trying to avoid a zap , so it was more easily replicated by my staff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.