Introducing project "Duration" and "Time Remaining" fields in Portfolio List View

Hi all,

Today we’re rolling out two new fields for Portfolio in List view:

• Duration which automatically calculates the duration of each project listed in the Portfolio (based on start and due date)
  • Time remaining which automatically calculates how long is left for each project listed in the Portfolio (based on today’s date and due date).

Pease note these fields will only be available in the Portfolios’ list view. You will have the option to show or hide them directly from the “Customize” menu.

We hope you’re as excited as we are to see the project duration and time remaining at a glance, and we look forward to hearing your feedback! :blush:

Please note this feature is being rolled out gradually. If you don’t see it just yet, you will get access to it in the next couple of days.

12 Likes

Great news! Thanks :slight_smile:

Feature request! Could duration calculate to TODAY if there is no due date selected? So we can see how long a project has been active?

8 Likes

Exciting news. Just to clarify @Marie , would the time duration automatically calculate the time from all the due dates within the project assigned to the portfolios, or would it only take in account the due dates of the portfolio itself?

TIA

2 Likes

@Marie ; are there plans to open up the Duration field to allow me to set the Duration w/o a set of Dates in the Date field? Or to have a “Duration Lock”?
It would be helpful to be able to…

1. Set a Duration for a Project w/o knowing a Start Date
  2. Utilize the Duration when setting the Start Date to autofill the End Date (and vice versa > set End Date and have project autofill the Date range)
2 Likes

This is very cool! However, Asana wouldn’t need to roll these new fields out if they created a “formula” field, similar to how [Airtable allows you to create formula fields] (Formula Field Reference - Overview | Airtable Support). With a formula field, Asana users could create these types of custom fields themselves! Just a suggestion.

4 Likes

Not for this initial launch, but these are two great ideas, so I’ll share them with our team for future iterations.

3 Likes

Loving this update. So helpful in identifying the challenge areas

2 Likes

Great news. Will or is this feature enabled at the task level?

4 Likes

Any plans for custom statuses besides the on track, off track, at risk ect?

Just noticed this today. MASSIVE improvement and really helps put things in perspective from a tracking standpoint

1 Like

I am curious if adding a portfolio to a portfolio will break these in addition to the timeline and workload views. Regardless, this is a great addition.

1 Like

Not at the moment @anon23066774

No @Austin_Crawford, I’m afraid nested Portfolios aren’t supported at the moment :slight_smile:

Is there a way to pull a report on Duration? I know you can see it in the portfolio, but I’d like to compare across different deliverable types/custom fields.

These fields are very helpful. Is it planned to have them available in the single project as well?

Thanks for these features! However, I have added them to my portfolio view but they keep showing up as 'No data '. Why is that?

1 Like

Hi @Fabienne_Van_Mierloo , if you haven’t already done so in your Portfolio, you need to enable the ‘Date’ field/column from Customize. Then once you insert a start/end date of your project, the Duration and Time remaining fields will populate accordingly.

:bulb: You can also set your project start/end dates from within the Project, from the :arrow_down: action menu on the right of the project’s title > Edit project details
Check the Asana guide here.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your quick reply! I thought it was supposed to be automatically linked to the tasks and their start & due dates…
I have added the date column, it works now, thanks!

2 Likes

Is there a particular Asana plan in which we can create time duration columns for tasks within a project, regardless of being linked to a portfolio?