Include Sections when Search results are sorted by Project

I appreciate the response! However, this doesn’t work well for us for a few reasons:

• The print view still works as we would expect, so it creates yet another level of discontinuity for our team.
  • While sections do contain tasks, we really need them to behave as a section in the sense that it contains tasks and creates actual sections for them within projects. To be able to sort them in project view this way is wonderful, but to not be able to see that reflected in an organization or management-wide view of projects is frustrating and breaks what I believe is the intent for them. We use sections to separate phases (in a project), task types (in an office management type “project”), etc. Creating custom fields does not provide the appropriate level of separation, and creates a task that is now redundant, as we will still need to assign sections for future board-to-list functionality.

We are paying customers, but I would imagine anyone with a free version would not be satisfied with a custom field workaround for something that I feel is an intuitive use for sections (assuming custom fields are still a paid-only feature). Please consider changing this. I was so excited about the coming changes to sections until realizing this aspect was not considered a bug after all.

1 Like

Agree. If this is permanent, sections have become a redundant step to accommodate swapping to board view in the future at the expense of list view functionality.

2 Likes

Is there any plan to address this? We implemented Asana at my company about 8 months ago largely due to the functionality of being able to quickly develop a single organized report across multiple projects. This change breaks workflow for our entire company with seemingly zero benefit, which is a massive deterrent to continuing use of this tool

3 Likes

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

Steps to reproduce: i’m not sure how you name this feature. it’s a task with an":" at the end to structure projects. our problem is that we strongly depend on a project overview. therefore we created a meta project named “projectupdate” and tagged each task of each project with the tag"projectupdate. the problem is that you guys made an update in the last few days/weeks so the feature “Headline with : & underline” is only shown in projects but not the one based on tags…this is bad for us and we strongly depend on this feature! please let me know if this is a bug (which will be changed) or a feature (will stay as it is).

FYI, we’re premium customer

Browser version: any

Upload screenshots below:

1 Like

Hey @Niklas_Strohmeier, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us, I have tested this on my end and was able to reproduce exactly what you are experiencing and showing in your screenshots.

I was also able to find an existing thread on the same topic in the #productfeedback category and have merged yours into it to allow other Forum members to easily find it and vote for it, I hope you don’t mind!

It’s true, in the print view it shows, haven’t noted it before.

I see this as a functionality drop, or bug, that also affects my main use of asana. In my case I need to filter tasks from a project, showing them ordered by sections, as they were manually put there.

To add to what others have said here, this is an issue for my team as well. @Marie this impacts every one of our projects. We use sections and we need to be able to search across projects and have sections display.

I don’t understand why the intended result of this change is to remove functionality that paying customers are using without providing an alternative.

The custom field workaround will not work for us as we have 75+ sections across our projects. Like others have said, you cannot filter a serach by a custom field and only the first few characters of the field are shown on a search. Not helpful. We need the ability to sort tasks in a search based on sections.

I continue to be frustrated by the suggestions that are shared on this forum that never get implemented. It only makes matters worse when features we rely on are taken away. These are your most engaged users and your team should listen to them.

5 Likes

Stupid question here - what is this "print view’ that I have seen mentioned in this thread? If that is the only way to make Section heads appear on my “recently completed” search reports, then I need to find that mysterious little option.

Hello @Matthew_Penn, when selecting print in the menu at right of the search result title, the generated pdf had the section.
Currently, after the last update, this doesn’t work either.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Separators appear in search result count but don’t display

Am I missing something or is this title misleading? Is there any scenario where the Sections will display in Search results? The title says “when Search results are sorted by Project”.

This isn’t working anymore, possibly at the time I posted the printing system were still not modified.

My workaround today… screen capture on project list view with filters applied, patetic. This is because if I apply filters, sections still display, but when printing the filter are not applied. So seems that they work hard on make us impossible to print filtered results with sections included and tasks in the manual order we just established.

@Pablo_Bueti, You may be able to use the following which supports sorting by section column and also dynamic filtering:

Larry

This has nothing to do with “sorted by project,” but to add custom field columns to search results (for example), you add that as an additional search criterion “With any value.”

I would expect similar behavior if you search for tasks in a project without specifying a section or (no section).

One more observation: if you export the search results to CSV, “Section/Column” is there. So it seems like this is simply a UX issue.

1 Like

John,
What’s missing in your answer is a way to coordinate changes between the sections and an accompanying custom field.

The analogous issue is synchronizing sections and the built in custom field "task progress.

In that case, with a set of supporting rules, you can handle all the use cases and the user can still see their task’s task progress in a “section”.

Take a look at tasks for doing anything else like that with a custom field and you find … nothing.

Sorry,
that second image should have been this.

OK - wait. There is a possible solution!
I found this on the flowsana rules comparison page. "

For asana: Condition/Trigger: Certain Custom field set to a certain value. Asana business supports: Dropdown-list fields only

This looks doable now!
I added a custom field that instead of being string was a dropdown-list and it now appears in the list of conditions/triggers! It also appears in the Actions list!

I’m going to apply the same rules around this field that I did with the Task Progress field.

I just want to drop this here. It’s going to take awhile to work creating all of the rules for this.
Summary:

• The project sections represent categories. e.g.

• To reflect those categories in the tasks themselves across projects we need to coordinate changes to:
    () The custom field property
    () Moving a task between sections
    () Adding the task to this project (corner case)

Here is the start of the decision table that needs to be implemented.

Pre-requisites:

• The custom field values MUST always match (be kept in sync manually) the board section names.
1 Like

hey this feature is still not implemented?
I just moved from notion and everything is working great - but not having the ability to include sections in search results is becoming a deal breaker. Is there any update on this?

Asana, Please provide feedback regarding when this feature will be added.