Include project name in task templates titles

Is there a way to get the Project Name to show up in the various pre-populated Tasks, when using a Project Template?

It’s really frustrating to have pre-populated tasks multi-homed into other things such as Calendar and Board Views when all you get is a generic task name.

I could create a dozen new jobs (Projects), all of them with a “Delivery Date” task. But when I look at the Calendar view, all I see is a dozen jobs saying “Delivery Date” instead of “Smith Delivery” or “Pacific Ave Delivery”.

So how can I get this easily to show up on Calendar View without having to train our team of 15-20 users to go edit the title of ALL those pre-populated tasks, manually typing in the Job Name, but also being careful to leave the task title intact?

If the Project is named “Rockefeller”, is there no way to have the pre-populated tasks automatically get “Rockefeller” as a prefix of some sort on the task title?

8 Likes

Hi @Matt5, thanks for reaching out!

At this time, project names will not be included in template tasks by default to reduce clutter. I would suggest adding this in manually to task template titles if this is something that would be beneficial to your Organisation.

That said, I’m going to move this post to #productfeedback so folks in the community can upvote it and so our developers can get a better look at the needs of our members :slight_smile:

Thanks Rebecca.

And to clarify, I’m only hoping this is an option to check, and not an “across the board, every time” thing.

2 Likes

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath,

I would love this feature, too. It would save me soooo much time!
Where can I vote for it?

3 Likes

Hi @anon66901816, you can vote by clicking the purple Vote button next to the thread title :slight_smile:

where do we upvote this? Jira has a feature where you bracket the unique project client and job ID and then it automatically populates parent and sub task lines

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Laura25!

Scroll to the top of this thread then click here

I would appreciate the opportunity to choose a prefix that is applied to all tasks when creating from a Project Template. Wrike has this feature and it is very helpful.

1 Like

Yes! I would love this. In my previous company, we used Workfront and could do something like {{project.name}} in a template and it would populate that project’s name whenever the template was used. That would be so helpful here. We use Asana for lots of small projects that overlap, so we end up renaming every task with the project name before the task name.

Would be great if possible via a rule, but to be honest, having variables in the asana environment could fix this the best. Basically, maybe even automatically, creating a variable for every Project called <Project_name> which can be used to e.g. append it to a task name, would work great for Project Templates.

I have a template filled with predefined milestones, but every time I create a new project, there is now a new task called delivery. Having 10 projects at once means, there are now 10 tasks called ‘Delivery’ in the ‘My Tasks’ section. Just being able to set this up in the project template like ‘<Project_name>_Delivery’ would be immensely helpful.

In addition, it would greatly help with the Google Calendar integration, seeing as there is no option here to include the project name in the event’s title, creating another 10 events only called ‘Delivery’ in my GC.

1 Like