Import to update existing tasks

Apologies if there is a way to do this but my google-fu has failed thus far.
It would be great if importing could use unique identifiers (such as the Asana assigned Task ID) to match to existing tasks and update/add/overwrite fields associated with that task.

From my current testing it duplicates tasks rather than updating them, which makes sense given that many use-cases may have tasks which require duplicate names so maybe an option to match or not to match?

Thanks for thoughts, tips, help.

17 Likes

Very interesting feedback @Alex_Thut! I’m afraid this is not possible at the moment, but hopefully this is something we can look into in the future!

6 Likes

@Marie Can I resurrect this? One of the main perks I was hoping to get out of Asana was the ability to update tasks (particularly descriptions), or insert new tasks partway into a list of existing (ordered) tasks (e.g. tasks might have been A, B, C before, but now there is a new step being added in so it becomes the new B, task B becomes C, etc).

This is because we have a process which we need to repeat multiple times over, but we often identify improvements to the process (i.e. list of tasks) as we go - and it’s a real pain not to be able to update in-flight task lists.

Is this a capability Asana plans to build in the near future?

8 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Annika_Lees and thanks for reaching out!

As it stands our CSV importer doesn’t allow you to update or import new tasks ordered with existing ones; I don’t believe we have planned to develop this capability in the next few weeks, but this is definitely something we will keep in mind for future updates. I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have additional informations!

3 Likes

Thanks, I look forward to hearing an update - I hope this is a Q1/Q2 feature roll-out!

2 Likes

I second this…Since ASANA hasnt come up with a bulk “edit” option this is the only other way to update tasks…since tasks have ID numbers this should possible.

10 Likes

Has this possible update been addressed?

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Feras_Hamidaddin :wave: and thank you for reaching out.

I don’t have an update regarding this topic yet, but as soon as I do I’ll make sure to post it here.

Have a great Monday!

1 Like

It would be great to be able to update fields en masse through the CSV importer, rather than only be able to create new tasks. Our team uses the CSV importer to first populate tasks into a project with custom fields but not every task will have an input for the custom field. For example, we track sites for a project that we need to reach out to by mail. However, mail for sites are mailed out in batches. We want to be able to fill in those mail dates later without manually selecting each item and updating that field. This is important when we need to track other aspects about those sites before the mailing so they need to be created as tasks, rather than only updating them when they are mailed.

10 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Ellie_Leong and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us!

We have an existing thread in the Forum regarding this topic so If you don’t mind, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to avoid duplications and consolidate votes!

I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this thread as soon as I have an updated on my end!

1 Like

:white_check_mark: voted! Being able to modify existing tasks would be extremely helpful as a means to “refresh” the templates that we have already applied to projects. With the rollout of Sections and Workload and needing to associate “effort” to a parent task we are having to “level up” how we stack tasks within projects. Being able to build a quick import tool that maps the existing tasks to the new design would save SO MUCH time doing work on work!

@Marie or @Natalia - any chance this is something that might be considered in the future?

3 Likes

I agree this would be super useful for batch updating tasks with e.g. custom fields.

3 Likes

I agree! I import the majority of my teams projects from a larger database and fields are frequently updated, that I’d love to be able to bulk correct. :slight_smile:

I was hoping to do this too. Would be very helpful to massage some custom fields without having to manually update each. A simple export, manipulate and import again.

1 Like

I just had a use case for this. I added a new field and needed update values for hundreds of tasks in the project at once. Now I have to do that through the asana ux rather than being able to upload the excel file and have it done in minutes.

This would be an extremely useful update, chiming in to add to the voices that have already requested this addition to the csv import option!

I ran across this post when trying to import for social media channel management. I’m hopeful I’ll find another way to update social engagement stats, but I think a bulk update via importer could really help with this situation. I’m trying to start the year off with diving in to adoption of Asana, so a feature like this would be helpful.

Please consider adding this functionality. We deal with large client boards that often require edits or updates and this would be very useful to do in an import!

3 Likes

Hello,
Whats happeing on this topic, Bulk should be ready soon? Have hundreds of tasks that need updated info. Otherwise i have to find another PM tool.
Please reply on date planned for this somewhat mandatory feature

3 Likes

My team would also like to see this feature. We have spent a considerable amount of time removing duplicates. We considered starting over from scratch but with the attachments, dates posted, etc we would have lost too much. Has this made it past discussion? Will Asana have this feature in the near future (like this year, I ask hopefully)? If so, any idea of a time frame.

We really like Asana. It is very easy to use. There are a few things that would be nice to have but overall Asana is very user friendly. The addition of this feature would make Asana a much more powerful tool.

Thanks for your consideration.

3 Likes