Implementing Divisions

We have used portfolios to organise work for about 3 years now and have created custom fields and the like to create data points which we report on via Excel outside of Asana.

We are looking to implement Divisions, with some of the team on Premium and others on Business.

To leverage the Business features we have been instructed to create. a new team let’s call it Client Services which will have all the relevant permissions for Business.

We have 5 or 6 portfolios made up of 100s of projects, some current and some historical. We have assigned custom fields on these portfolios which allow us to extract the data points into Excel and report year-on-year data, digging into specific projects for retrospectives.

1. I assume that all of these projects would need to be moved to the new Client Services team to leverage these features.
  2. I assume that my portfolios will remain intact provided the projects are under the Client Services Team.
  3. I assume that I will need to manually move these projects to the new location in order to retain their position and data in the relevant portfolio.

Asana support has directed me here - any clarity on the above points would be gratefully received!

Welcome, @Hayley2,

Divisions can be complicated. For the full picture, see:

They effectively create silos; you can collaborate among Division members within a Division, but not across Divisions with premium features.

You will pay for members in the two Divisions you mentioned. All others will be in the free Asana Basic plan.

Yes, you would have to move the projects. But you are not limited to one team. In each Division’s admin console, you can designate which teams are in the Division, so you may have more than one.

Yes, I believe so.

Same as 1.; or did you mean something different?

Again, this is complicated, and the above is the best of my knowledge, but I recommend you confirm with Asana Sales or Support before you change. And perhaps others will weigh in here; cc @Julien_RENAUD, Division Czar!

Thanks,

Larry

Hi @Hayley2 @lpb

2 important things to understand:

• having a paying license in division A, doesn’t give you visibility on projects in division B, unless you’re invited to take part in a project, in which case you count as 2 licenses (1 in each division).

• A license is required as soon as you invite someone to a team, or as a member of a project.

So if I understand your need, I think you should do the following:

• projects must be in the Premium division, so that Premium users can work on them
  • Business users must also be Premium, otherwise they won’t be able to see the projects (since they’re in the Premium division), and therefore won’t be able to add them to a Business portfolio
  • Business users can then create a portfolio in the Business division, and this portfolio can include Business and/or Premium projects.

I hope this makes things clearer :+1:
(All this needs to be confirmed by Asana :wink: )

Thanks, @Julien_RENAUD. I think the requeest is not 100% clear and you and I have interpreted it differently, and I’m not sure which applies to the request.

I was assuming only those in the Business Division need to see the projects/portfolio mentioned. Each person needs only one license.

Julien was assuming all paying users (not just those in Business Division but those in Premium Division too) need to see the projects/portfolio mentioned. Each Business Division member must not just pay for Business, but on top of that also must pay again for Premium.

@Hayley2, this is why I started by talking about silos; Divisions work better (are more cost effective) where the work is separate so you avoid doubly paying for two licenses for one person.

Thanks,

Larry

Oh yes you’re right @lpb , I was assuming a different use case …

@Hayley2 who needs to see what? on which projects each user would work?

1 Like