If there are non-unique names in a CSV Import the closest row above with a matching name IS NOT used

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: The Asana Guide states that blocked by dependents should correspond to the dependent task names exactly. Specifically that the dependent task should be located above the current row in the CSV file. If there are non-unique names in your CSV, the closest row above with a matching name will be used. I’m finding that when there are like identical task names this statement in bold isn’t true. This can be seen in this Timeline view of a recent CSV Import (“x” represent incorrect dependency mapping):

Steps to reproduce: Create a similar CSV file or use the one from the image HERE and import into a project. You will see from the Timeline that dependency mapping doesn’t always match with the closest name (row immediately above task)

Browser version: Google Chrome is up to date - Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below: Shown above.

Additional context: If I modify the CSV file to include “extra” spaces at the end of each unique task name to help differentiate them, it seems the same results are produced. This means that adding spaces to improve the matching won’t work. I’d have to add “extra” characters like an underscore as done HERE.

1 Like

Hi @LEGGO! Let me try to reproduce this and I’ll get back to you once I have more information :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi @LEGGO, apologies for the late follow-up here! I was able to reproduce this and I filed a bug but I still don’t have any updates from our product team. I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

Hello @Emily_Roman! Any updates on this!

Also, on unrelated note: for the first time I experienced where an import got completely hung up and nothing imported to the project. The wheel continued to spin and stated the 110 tasks were importing to no avail. Is this a Customer Support issue or are there known discrepancies in an import that would cause this behavior. Thanks?

Hi @LEGGO, I’m afraid we don’t have updates yet! I just reached out to our product team and requested more info.

In regards to the issue you are experiencing, I recommend you contacting our support team so we can help you solve it asap! I don’t believe this is related to this issue.

Thanks @Emily_Roman! Will do (and agree, completely unrelated… I just broke the rules and mentioned it in the wrong place because I was lazier than usual this morning :wink: )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @LEGGO, our Product Team has deployed a fix for this issue, and it should be solved now. If you still experience any problems, please let me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like