Importing dependent tasks link to same task in other projects rather than a task in the current project

Hi

I am importing 7 tasks in to a project, each task has 5 subtasks for a total of 42 tasks.

The 7 tasks have exactly the same 5 subtasks and 4 of those subtasks are dependent on tasks above them being completed.

The file is imported in the order of
Maintask 1
subtask 1
subtask 2
subtask 3 …

For the dependencies the subtask that is the dependency is always above the subtask that it will block. i.e.

taskname dependency
subtask 1
subtask 2 subtask 1
subtask 3 subtask 2

The problem I am finding is that subtask 2 of maintask 2 should be blocked by subtask 1 of maintask 2, however this is not always the case.

Shows the csv file in a text editor to show the file as well as subtask 2 of main task 2 blocking more that it should.

Has anybody encountered this before and if so what was the solution, the issue is not uniform, some dependencies link correctly others don’t

Hi @Brett_Byworth, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

You can currently specify dependencies via the CSV Importer following these steps:

1. Create a new column in your spreadsheet called Dependents
  2. Fill the Dependents column to list tasks that the current row is blocked by

Please note they should correspond to the dependent task names exactly. The dependent task should be located above the current row in the CSV file. If there are non-unique names in your CSV, the closest row above with a matching name will be used.

If you are already organizing your CSV following the steps above, I recommend you to contact our support team and send the CSV file and the URL of this thread so they assist you further: How to contact our Support Team ✉

I hope the issue is solved soon! Let me know if I can help you with anything else!