Inconsistencies in how Subtasks and Dependencies need to be listed within a CSV Import

@Emily_Roman one thing I have always struggled with is that dependent tasks should be located above the current row in the CSV. I understand this is so that the current row “knows” which task is dependent of the current row. If you think of this from the perspective of a parent task being dependent on the completion of its subtasks, you run into a conflict because in order to list a subtask the parent task has to already be known. Yet you can’t list the parent task before the subtasks if it is dependent on the subtasks.

If you get away from the dependency relationships between parent tasks and subtasks, I’ve always felt that items should be listed in the order the actions need to be completed (top being more recently due than those at the bottom). You can’t achieve this if the dependent tasks have to be listed before the current row.

This is interesting because when working within Asana live you map the dependency in the opposite way! You literally edit a task to “make dependent” on a task that already exists. With the import, you are stating where tasks are depending on the current row. Any chance that the import process could flow like Asana does in its live state? I know nothing about programming but I assume this would only be achievable if dependency mapping was performed across an import of tasks as a final step rather than expecting all the known data to be available upon importing each row of data in full.

This seems to be counter-intuitive, as noted in the quotes from previous forum discussions with @Phil_Seeman.

BELOW. For Subtask mapping to occur via import, the Parent task to associate with the subtask needs to be defined first (above on the list). I have not issues with this ordering.

ABOVE. Dependent tasks need to be listed before the tasks they are dependent upon via import. This is opposite of how it works in the web - there the tasks that need to be completed first have to be created in order to “make dependent” the dependent task. This is the ordering I have issues with because when importing the “things to do first” need to be listed AFTER those that dependent on said tasks.

I guess I wouldn’t have as much of an issue with the order of dependencies IF there was a way to set the order of tasks - how they get listed top to bottom when the import is complete! :grinning:

My hope is that others see the same and have difficulty meeting the conditions of an import while seeking to have more say in the order which tasks appear by default when imported. Thanks!!!

I totally hear you, @LEGGO! Thanks for providing all this information, I’ll make sure to bring it to the next VoC consult related to the CSV importer. This is certainly something we’re planning to tackle in the future and although I don’t have any precise timeline to share at the moment, I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have more information about it!

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know; I’ll be more than happy to help!

3 Likes

We are trying to figure out how to make each parent task dependent on all of its subtasks when doing a bulk upload via the CSV importer - is there a way to do this? We’ve tried putting a comma between each subtasks’ title, but that didn’t work. Any assistance is appreciated!

Welcome, @Ani_Onesian,

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible.

Subtasks need to be below their parent, yet dependent tasks need to be above their precedent task. These are documented here:

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like