How to Use Asana as a Database (Project Management)

We are a Civil Engineering firm, and have approximately 200 projects that we work on. Each project has a specific set up tasks that need to be completed every time (e.g. Get plans/specs, get project info sheet, write plan, send out plan, get insurance, invoice, perform # inspections, complete Annual Report in 2020 and 2021, create NOT, w/ invoices monthy). We are curious how we can set up a database of all of our projects that allow us to create a ton of subtasks and subtasks within those subtasks.

Is there a way we can easily see the whole list of all of our projects? How can we keep the calendar view when we have hundreds of projects (if you have too many tasks on one day the calendar view goes away)?

I’m not exactly sure how to organize all of this information… ideas?

4 Likes

did you ever get any intel or ideas about this?

1 Like

Not really

1 Like

We have a client that is after a very similiar setup. We are looking at doing this using the Asana API and pulling the data we need out and creating a web interface to show the extra features the client needs. Then updates will be pushed back to the Asana.
We are first looking to see if anyone else has done similiar so we can save time doing it and ultimatly money for the client. Did you end up creating anything?

This is exactly what I want to use it for too. What did you end up using?

2 Likes

I have recently felt that I have gained a better understanding of how to use Asana through similar endeavors. Here is the following image:

1. Project Management
    1.1. Each project will be treated as a separate case.
    1.2. Once a case is contracted, a unique case number will be assigned in a case management system (not Asana).
    1.3. Using a template that contains registered task details, a project will be created.

2. Multiple Case Management
    2.1. The project created in step 1 will be added to a portfolio for case consolidation.
    2.2. On the portfolio, the progress of the cases will be observed. If necessary, individual cases can be clicked to view their details.
    2.3. The timeline display on the portfolio will allow for an overview of the overall situation on a chronological scale.

I also refer to this.