How to search "approved" tasks?

Our Scrum development teams use tasks to track “User Stories”, and sub-tasks to track “Acceptance Criteria”.
Acceptance Criteria are set as approval tasks, so that they can be approved, rejected or change requested.

The challenge I have is retrieving only approved (or rejected) sub-tasks.
Even better, retrieving only approved (or rejected) sub-tasks of completed tasks.

The Advanced Search doesn’t allow to search for the approval status, I’m afraid.
Did anyone encounter the same challenge, and did you find any woraround?

Hi Franscesco, why don’t you use a custom field in the actual task instead of creating sub-tasks? This way you can filter your project by “approved” only or “rejected” only. You can find more info on custom fields here. Hope this helps, Dominique :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Dominique.
An “approval” custom field is the workaround we’ll use in place of the standard Approval functionality, due to the search limitation.
As these are sub-tasks, a rule to automatically set the custom field on task approval won’t work, so we just cannot use the Approval thing and will stick with the workaround.

Hi @anon2985182 as it stands I don’t believe there is a better workaround I’m afraid. I’m moving your post to the #productfeedback category and will keep you posted here once I have an update!

2 Likes

thank you @Marie! Greetings from Italy.

1 Like

Yes @anon2985182 , if the approval is a subtask, the advanced search does not differentiate the status and presents all of them in one go.
While the custom field is a work around it, I agree there should be a way to use the advance filter to clearly identify these in subtasks.

I have trained myself to use the project board as one main level with all activities, approvals, dependencies, etc… because the subtask does not live up to the task royalty. Your suggestion has been upvoted +1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wanting to run searches for tasks that are marked for Approval and have the report show me what tasks are waiting for approval or have been rejected.

Thoughts?

1 Like

It would be nice to see support added to the “Add Filter > More” menu of Advanced Search (Milestones there is similar to this).

@Marie or @Natalia, could you move this Product Feedback so we can vote?

Thanks,

Larry

4 Likes

Great idea @James_Stinson! Moved to the #productfeedback category and upvoted it!

Thank you @lpb!

Happy Friday!

3 Likes

@Community_Managers,

I believe this is a duplicate of How to search "approved" tasks? so can you merge this with that one which is a bit more clear?

Also, can you raise this to the product team? More and more, Asana is rolling out new features and failing to complete (ever, sometimes) the proper, expected delivery of past features. This is one of many. To be able to search for tasks of the Approval type, but not to be able to search for “Rejected” or “Approved” so long after rollout is not really a sustainable way to manage a Business or Enterprise product, let alone any product. There are now quite a few “gotchas” strewn far and wide in the implementation and it’s frustrating for clients and those of us trying to provide solutions without workarounds all the time.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging this, @lpb. - I’ve gone ahead and merged the posts :slight_smile:

I hear you, Larry. I’ll make a note of this and raise it at our next consult with the Voice of Customer team. :slight_smile:

2 Likes