How to keep tabs on the number of licenses needed?

We are a group of project managers in an organization with 1000+ employees.
Over the next coupld of years, we expect to manage a good number of projects that will involved folks from all parts of the organization. Most of these folks will be involved in one (or two) of these projects, and once that project’s completed, they won’t have a need for an asana premium license any longer. We’re thinking of managing removing these users from our license pool so we can add new users with the need to constantly add more licenses.
However, the ex-users might be somewhat uncomfortable about losing access to “their” data in asana.
Anyone having to deal with similar concerns?
If so, what’s your answer/solution/workaround?

Thanks
Werner

The only thing I can think of is by virtue that Organizations have unlimited guests is to somehow transfer their completed work to a non-domain email like a “work gmail account”

@Marie do you have a suggestion from Asana standpoint? :thinking:

Hi @Werner_Beck and thanks for the mention @Bastien_Siebman! What about upgrading only one specific Team to Premium features to handle these projects? You will be able to add your colleagues to this team when they need to take part in projects and remove them when they’ve done their part. Your colleagues will still have access to all their data in the Organization, they just won’t be able to access data from the Premium Team.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Let me see if I understand what you’re suggesting, Marie.

We’re on a division plan. A couple teams with premium level access.

So we could add teams outside of that division plan.

At the end of a project, a project-only user would be moved from a “core team” (in the division plan) to a “non-core team” (outside of the division plan).
So would there be a way for the them to still have access to their by now former project, yet w/o the premium features?

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up @Werner_Beck. Unfortunately, they would not have access to their former projects but they would remain members of the Organization. I’m afraid there is no workaround to remove these users from the “core team” while still giving them access to project within this team. My apologies that I can’t be of a greater help here!

Hi @Marie - that seems to imply that if I add someone to a project that’s under a team that’s on our division plan, that person/account will then use a premium license, even if (s)he isn’t otherwise a member of a team on the division plan?
So, in my scenario, each guest will use a premium license?
Let me try to explain that again, from a slightly different angle:
I’ve just added a team that’s not on our division plan.
Added a user to that team; no premium lincense needed up to that point, correct?
Next, added that user to a project that’s associated with a team on our division plan; now, that user takes up a premium license - correct?
I was hoping that user would stay with a basic license, which would imply only seeing those parts of the project not needing features out of the premium set.

Hey @Werner_Beck!

I’ve just added a team that’s not on our division plan.
Added a user to that team; no premium lincense needed up to that point, correct? >> Yes

Next, added that user to a project that’s associated with a team on our division plan; now, that user takes up a premium license - correct? >> In this case:

Hope this helps to clear things up, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Ok, that clarifies the situation for me; thanks, Marie!

1 Like