Thanks again Larry for walking me thru how to do this,
Here is how I have documented the full process for Duplicating a section. I hope they are useful to someone else.
For this write up of the process…
ProjA will be the original project that has the section that we want to duplicate. It is also the TARGET project for receiving the moved
CopyA will be the temporary copy of ProjA that we make so that we can move some of its tasks back to ProjA
Two really important limitations: :
- When you duplicate ProjA to create CopyA, make sure you have checked all the fields you want duplicated in CopyA.
- When the tasks arrive back in ProjA, they may be out of order:
- The order may be as the original, but may be scrambled.
- It is possible that the order in the List view may be different from the order in the Board view, and different from the order in the Timeline. This seems like bug and I will report it, but you will have to realize this limitation before you do the copy. That is why I put a letter code on the front of the tasks before my final cloning… so it would be easier to drag and drop them back into the right order and be sure I got them all.
**Here are the detailed steps for how I created a duplicate of a Board column (Tower 1) with a different name (Tower 2)
Again, ProjA is the original project, and CopyA is a temporary duplicate of ProjA.
- Make sure that ProjA is as good as it can be before you duplicate it. In our case, I added DUE DATES, checked most dependencies, and also added the letter codes to the front of main task names. (e.g. A0 ) This will help me unscramble tasks later.
- Open ProjA and use the Duplicate function (on the drop down menu behind the project name)
- If you get asked for a start date, I suggest you keep the start date the same as the original
- While your still in ProjA, create a new section/column to receive the tasks that will be coming back from CopyA
- Now open CopyA and make sure it is a full copy of ProjA
- Click on List view. (It is easier to select the tasks you want in that view)
- Select the tasks you want to move back to ProjA by the usual method of selection (Click on the first one you want, then hold shift while you click the last one)
- That will open a panel that shows “X tasks selected” Hover over the name of CopyA in that panel, and a pen icon will appear to the right.
- In that righthand panel, hover over the pen icon and it will show “Move to another project” (as shown in the screenshot below) Now click the pen.
- A list of potential target projects will appear… and you want to select the name of ProjA
- Wait a bit then in the righthand panel (on the same line as the project name) select the Section of ProjA that you want the tasks put into
- Once that is done the move is complete. The selected tasks should be in ProjA and are removed from CopyA.
- Check ProjA to see if things went where you wanted. If not, drag and drop tasks until you get the new section the way you want it. Check all 3 views (List, Board, Timeline)
- CopyA is now of no use to anyone, you should delete it.
You may want to practice with some TEST copies of projects before doing it on your production copy.
End of post