How to delete a file from a project

Hello, I have seen some posts about this allready, however no solution: I have deleted a file from task, however it is still in the files. I don’t know how to delete a file. The file is old and has to be gone completely to make sure it is not used.

Hope someone can help. Thanks
Eva

1 Like

Hi @Eva,

If the file is still in your “File” tab, it means it is still attached to a task within your project. Here is how you can solve this:

Head to your project “File” tab
Locate the File in question and hover your mouse over the name of the task your file is attached to (See screenshot below)
This will automatically open the task your file is attached to
From there, simply delete the attachement following these steps

Hope this helps Eva, keep me posted!

He Marie,

Thanks so much for that. I thought I tried this before, however not via the files. Anyway, thanks again for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.

Have a nice day. Eva

1 Like

You’re very welcome @EvaH, hope to chat to you soon in the Forum :slight_smile:

HI, Folks. I also need to remove a file, but I see no X either in the right pane for task details nor in the Files section for my project. Suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry, never mind. No X, but found the delete option. :upside_down_face: #Learningcurve. Hope all of you are well!

Where is the delete option? I’m thinking of moving back to Asana from Monday (and upgrading to a paid team option) but am not going to do it if I’m saddled with 50 million old files and/or if I know that files stay with you forever and ever. That’s just stupid.

Already deleted all of my tasks and workspaces, so that’s not an option.

1 Like

Think I figured it out but not sure it’s worthwhile to move to a program that saves company logos and then forces me to manually delete them instead of just deleting them with the tasks.

1 Like

I can delete a file from the comments section of a task, but then it is still in the Flies view of the project. Where is the master delete for files?

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Jessica_Herzog1!

You’d have to delete the file from the task attachments in general