How to build a process in Asana with stops and starts at different intervals

I am building a very large process out in Asana from a detailed process map. I need to automate as much as possible, so I am wondering how I can skip a section of the process if it is not needed based on the result of the section above it.

Example:
After section 2, a decision is made. No = go to step 3. Yes = skip section 3 and go to section 4.

Is there a way to easily automate something like that?

Hi Paula,

I would use a custom field, where the person dealing with the task in Section 2, could answer that question with either a Yes or No in that custom field. Then you would use rules to direct it to the proper section based on the custom field selected.

3 Likes

Thank you @Kasey_Nichols! This particular process has multiple places that it would need that Yes/No answered. Can you envision how that rule would work (what the action would be) for the following scenario? I’m still understanding it… Thanks for any ideas you have! FYI - There are 9 instances in this process where the y/n would have to be answered.

EX:
“No” in first instance of y/n task means go to section 3.
“Yes” in first instance of y/n task means skip section 3 and go to section 4.
“No” in second instance of y/n task means go to section 12.
“Yes” in second instance of y/n task means skip section 12 and go to section 13.

Two options.

You could have 9 different custom fields that are answered with yes or no, each custom field labeled as your instances. Running your rules on the custom field then the 2 options (yes or no) in each custom field. They’d be treated separately because they are different custom fields.

Ex:
If Custom Field 1 is No then send to section 3
If Custom Field 1 is Yes then send to section 4
If Custom Field 2 is No then send to section 12
If Custom Field 2 is Yes then send to section 13

OR

You could use 1 custom field and create unique options.

For example, you have Instance A, Instance B, and so on for your 9 instances

I would set up a Custom Field that would end up with 18 items to choose from (Your 9 instances, with Yes or No as the option). I would then label them as “Yes Instance A” “No Instance A” or whatever makes sense grammatically. You would end up with 18 options under that custom field that are all DIFFERENT. And then you set up your rules to run against them.

ex:
If “No Instance A” send to section 3
If “Yes Instance A” send to section 4
If “No Instance B” send to Section 12
If “Yes Instance B” send to Section 13

For what it’s worth, I would use the 2nd option as my personal preference. Mainly because if you’re using the board view you won’t see what the custom field is and you’ll just see a lot of YES and NO on the card

@Kasey_Nichols thank you for taking the time to reply so clearly. I appreciate the help! I was afraid that was my best option. Of those, I would also choose option 2. However, it seems that may push my client over the edge :slight_smile: with so many choices in a dropdown. Lots of room for user error for the team!