How does one prevent due date changes by other team members?

Hello everyone,

I am a new user with Asana and loving it so far. However, we have one small issue with the due dates changes. I created a few tasks, and as my team started to test all the options, we realized that due dates can be changed by anyone as we made it public. Is there a way to prevent members from changing titles or due dates in the paid version (I’m currently using the free version until we can find some time to finish our migration from Smartsheet).

Thank you so much,

Ysrael Condori

2 Likes

Hello Yseael,

Welcome to Asana and the Community!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to prevent people from changing the due date or title, even with advanced permission control.
But you can always see what happens in the activity log of a task

Regarding your migration from smartsheet, there are services like tray.io and Zapier who can migrate the items for you and save you hours of work, let me know if I shall make you an introduction.

Moreover, I recommend you agree with your team on an Asana convention to avoid mistakes in changing things which shall not be changed, find more about this here: Asana Implementation Process: Best practices and lessons learned from different companies - #16 by Dan_Olson

Best

5 Likes

What Sebastian said is great advice, and I’ll add a little bit to it - I recommend that one of your expectations/conventions for tasks is that whenever a due date changes, you have to comment on why it’s being changed. So if a team member changes a due date for some reason, but there’s no note, then you can change it back or follow up asking why.

Also to Sebastian’s point about the activity log - you should just be aware that whomever creates the line (like changing a due date) can also remove the line from the activity log. That’s not much of a problem unless you have some nefarious people on your team though =)

6 Likes

Totally agree with Sebastian, team members should not be able to change anything from the project, that defeats the whole purpose.
I was also wondering if this feature would be in the paid version. We’ll consider migration to paid version once member privileges can be adjusted.

3 Likes

@Viro_Films It’s not in the premium version. At present that level of user permissioning is not available. An audit trail exists but you won’t be able to stop someone making the change.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Yes, it seems like we will have to adopt a rule for whenever there’s a due date change. Which shouldn’t be so hard.
I appreciate the help,

Ysrael

1 Like

Hi all,

Is there a way to change the permissions for certain members so that they can’t change or delete tasks or due dates so that control can remain with the managers if changes do need to be made?

We are trying to look for a system for managers to have full access but those who report to the managers to only have limited access so that they can see what task are assigned to them and when they are due by and thats it.

I understand that this can be followed in the activity log but a task that has a number of people working on it creates an activity log that become very difficult to follow.

Look forward to your repsonse

Regards

Chris J

1 Like

Hi @Chris13,

Yes, this is now possible! Last November Asana introduced a way to accommodate this (in the Premium version). See How to assign task and inform members without they can make changes to it? - #2 by Phil_Seeman for more info.

I’m afraid not. That just blocks the Title and Description fields… which is kind of pointless because if I want a user to Only comment that means only comment but instead he still can change or remove the due date messing the time estimations and critical path of the project.

@asana why? Or… when?

2 Likes

@Juan_Diego I haven’t tested it myself but that sounds odd. According to the Asana docs, a user in comment-only mode should only be able to change the due date for tasks which are assigned to that user (which makes sense to me). Are you seeing the ability for a comment-only user to change dates on tasks which that person is not assigned to?

Yes the owner can change the date. But creator should be the only one allowed.

Imagine I assign 20 tasks with strict due dates to an employee, later the employee changes dates. I have no control over that other that checking task by task in the history, which is crazy. If I want to enforce critical/strict due dates I can’t.

2 Likes

This would be amazing! I have entirely too many tasks to check the comments to see if due dates are being changed.

2 Likes

I agree - my employees shouldn’t be able to change the due dates on their tasks. This is especially important for new employees less familiar with Asana and for repeating tasks.

2 Likes

is the audit trail on a per task basis or can you get a global view of all changes on a project? or even all projects?

In other words, there are no permissions on who can edit tasks (that have access) and it requires an honor system following team established conventions. is that correct?

Also is there an Activity Log (audit trail) available at the Project level or Company level?

I’m confused as to why this feature has not been implemented when your customers have been asking for it, repeatedly, for over 3 years?

9 Likes

I also believe that this function is ESSENTIAL.

5 Likes

Hello everyone!
I agree with two previous comments. This function is essential.

2 Likes

Totally agree with all the above. Users must cannot edit due dates unless is the manager of the project.

1 Like

You should just add a lock button next to due date and if someone lock it with the password, then the others won’t be able to change it. :wink:

3 Likes