How do I set Asana to automatically trigger due date creation upon completion of other tasks?

You are able to perform a search for part of a project name and select the “Items with x” option which provides a list of task (and subtasks). You are given the ability to sort by due date but I don’t find that the ctrl+up/down shortcut works to shift dates. Is this a bug? I don’t recall if at the time or this original post you were able to sort by due date for search results or not. Since you can now at least, I’m wondering how I might be able to use this tip to accommodate for the lack of any “due date dependencies” feature.

@LEGGO - In order for this feature to work, you’ll need to first sort the project by due date. Try that and let me know if it still doesn’t work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that was the first mistake I made :blush: but tried after sorting and still no luck… :disappointed: Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Is there any way to set some kind of order / due date based on project creation with subtasks? Right now for a workflow we duplicate a task that has subtasks under it. It would be awesome if there was a way to set the subtasks relative to the date created (or a start date) so it would trigger a workflow scenario.

1 Like

@Alexis I’m still not having much luck with this. Perhaps a quick demo to make sure I’m not doing something that isn’t intended?

This trick works for Due Date, but for tasks that also have start dates, it s t r e t c h e s them. In other words, command-arrow will move the due dates but it leaves the start dates alone. This needs to be fixed. If you are trying to keep task durations and move their due dates (which is the implied use here) you end up with tasks that leave their start dates behind.

1 Like

@Alexis
Is this possible using Projects setup as Boards? I don’t believe it is correct?

1 Like

@Alexis I got it! You can go to Timeline view, and highlight all the tasks you want to reschedule, then simply drag them a few days forward - Awesome. Hope that helps the next guy/gal (ps if you’re the next guy/gal, no offense on that, you’re the first in my book)

2 Likes

We have set up a process template (like a project plan) that we use to set up projects for multiple clients.
We can then copy this template as a new project each time. We have certain tasks dependent on completion of other tasks, and like the simplified Gant chart ability to let everybody know that their task has started.

But we would like to be able to set the start date for each project separately, without manually changing each date. Also we would like to give a general time period (like 3 weeks) for each task instead of start dates and end dates.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I am struggling to batch edit multiple tasks to change the due date. I am following the instructions posted here under ‘shift multiple due dates in a list’.

I recall making this work before, and I am following the instructions to the letter but I’m not having any luck. Is anyone else having a similar problem, or can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Hi,
it is still working for me, however, it is NOT working for sub-tasks, but this is normal, so if you wanted to change sub-task due dates this might be the explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! No they are not subtasks. Having sorted the tasks by due date I am then selecting all, holding ctrl and using arrow keys, but nothing is happening. Rather frustrating!

I have emailed support, but if anyone has any other tips they would be much appreciated!

Martin

Just in case I’ll show you this post:

But if these steps don’t work, it’s probably a bug. Please let me know! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for that - those were exactly the steps I have been taking but with no success - I think it might be a bug then - any idea how long it would take to sort?

Thanks again,
Martin

UPDATE - it seems you can change due dates when under ‘my tasks’ (i.e. those assigned to me), but not under the project tasks. It seems the bug is in the project tasks.

Thanks,
Martin

2 Likes

Same here, Is there a way to get it sorted for Projects?

Love this feature! However, batch shifting due dates is not currently working.

Also look forward to automated / depended due date assignment.

2 Likes

@Seth_Gleeson if you’re unable to batch shift due dates it looks like you could be seeing a bug. Could you please confirm the actions you’re taking to try to batch shift? Once you do that I’ll be able to report the possible bug. Thanks!

I started experiencing this bug also, just yesterday. I shift-select a series of tasks in list view, hold down command and press the down arrow. Instead of moving the dates out, the dates do not change.

Very muck looking forward to having this bug addressed, as our dates shift around rather often! Thanks.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, and am exactly following the steps outlined above. This issue was resolved around 6-8 weeks ago, but seems to be back. It is a really helpful tool, so anything that can be done to update would be most appreciated!

1 Like