How can I create headings in subtasks?

I used to just end the heading text with a colon “:” and it would automatically create a heading in either projects or subtasks. This doesn’t appear to work anymore after the change to use the new button to create headings in projects. The button works great at the project level, but not at the subtask level. How can I create headings in my subtasks going forward?

Hi Adam,

The way to create a section within subtasks is now to use the Tab+N keyboard combination. See:

7 Likes

Ok,
what about ios?

2 Likes

Since Tab+N doesn’t create a subtask heading unless the subtask area is focused, it should at least delete the first empty subtask when a heading is created.

1 Like

This is very frustrating for me. Why would you get rid of the : short cut?

That saved me time, and also allowed me to easily cut and past Asana projects from meeting notes, by adding : for the headers.

Now I have to go in and do that manually for no discernible reason. Asana needs more functionality, not less.

20 Likes

I totally agree with this comment!

4 Likes

Agreed, this is one of the asinine changes I’ve ever seen a piece of software take. The end-of-line-colon method was super intuitive, and great when you stumble across it. Nobody is going to stumble across a keyboard shortcut like Tab+N.

Bizzare step backwards

9 Likes

On top of that, people coming from todo apps like Todoist are used to creating headings this way. I get offering the option to use a keybind, but can’t that be in addition the colon method?

3 Likes

I also want the colon back. I can’t remember that shortcut, and as I try to fumble my way through various version of [key] + N to find the right shortcut, I keep opening new tabs, new incognito windows, entering symbols, etc. I never, ever can remember that it’s TAB+N. I know the colon can be frustrating when you want to actually insert a colon and instead it auto creates a section, but it was WAY easier and less frustration overall than this TAB+N “shortcut.”

8 Likes

I’d like to know this as well since an iPad is my primary home device right now. Would really be helpful to be able to do this.

Been using Asana for 5+ years…gave this “tab + n” shortcut a chance for the past few months. It is honestly terrible and should be removed.

“tab” is not an acceptable modifier key!

Here are 3 better suggestions:

Header::
[Header]
Header<>

6 Likes

I agree. This is terrible. I can never remember what the shortcut is and have to constantly search for this article which keeps fuelling my anger at how stupid this update is.

3 Likes

The “tab+n” shortcut also seems to remove the ability to import subtask headings from CSV, whereas before adding " : " after the subtask name would allow the subtask to render as a heading.

Is there any way to create headings in subtasks using the CSV importer now that this update has been rolled out?

2 Likes

Has this been solved? Can’t seem to use Tab + N on Windows. Just does nothing. Bring back ‘:’ - was so simple.

This was one of the worst updates by Asana. It is so easy to forget how to make a header… what was wrong with simply typing ‘:’… u should put more on page tips… like ability to right click and insert header if u don’t want to do the ‘:’… Please be more careful with ur updates… this has been annoying to every single user on our account and we use it daily.

3 Likes

So Asana never addressed this? Can I just add that this change is one of the most annoying and frustrating things Asana have done. I can no longer copy and paste subtasks and headers from one project to another. It really does cause a lot of unnecessary editing and deleting. Put it back how it was please.

4 Likes

I agree…if you are typing the name of the section name it was so easy to just type the colon. I have no idea why they are making it harder to use their system.

4 Likes

I’m so confused. I’m looking at the Business Plan Template - and there is a section Company description, under that section there is a task that says “executive summary” then there is a header (not a separate section) that titles the subtasks. The header says Details to Include then is followed by the subtasks.

How do I make a header within one section

Go to the top-level task’s detail pane, put your cursor on the subtask above where you want the subtask section, then hit Tab-N. That will create a new subtask section underneath where your cursor was, and you can then type in its name.

Note that you MUST be in a task’s detail pane for this to work; if you hit Tab-N in a project’s List view, it will create a new full project section which is not what you’re wanting here.

Just want to point out this related thread:

Not sure if these should be combined or not…

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like