Homepage UI Improvements

Can someone from customer support explain what the homepage is for and maybe provide a use case?
I thought it was going to be like dashboards, which are very cool and intuitive but it this seems to just be a list of projects.
I don’t want to be negative, but I don’t feel like I understand how to use this page in my workflow. Is there an article or something that?
This article in the Asana Guide tells me what the homepage does, but not what it is for (i.e. why it does those things).

Edit: It’s above the “my tasks” button so I assume it’s supposed to be an important feature.

3 Likes

Hi, yes, I agree. Another improvements and features to implement on homepage are welcomed. It would be fine to have there list of Today tasks, last conversation. Maybe could be helpfull to mark tasks and sections as favorite to see them on homepage screen. Some of tasks are bigger (but it doesn´t make sense to conver them into project) and it would be helpful to have a part of favorite tasks and sections on homepage …

But homepage is really welcomed, I missed some kind of quick preview of my actuall project and tasks I am working on and still have to use another tools next to Asana and I would like to refuse them …

Thank you :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about it more, and now I’m wondering if this is designed to address the issue of people being overwhelmed by organizing their “My Tasks” pane. If so, that would be a very welcome change.

I had several team members at my last job with a high volume of tasks who also worked entirely out of their “New Tasks” silo. I’m sure other power users are familiar with that frustration.

Having an auto-organization dashboard would help eliminate some of the “work about work” of the My Task pane. So that would be a big plus for team harmony.

Don’t see the use of the new homepage either, but doesn’t bother me either since I never close asana’s tab anyway so I’m not auto redirected there except from time to time when asana force login again.

1 Like

In my case, the homepage isn’t useful. I track everything in MY TASKS. All my projects are listed in my Dashboard so I can then pull a status report of every project in Google docs. I manage up to 75 projects at a time so the homepage is really just clutter in my workspace.

I could see how it could be beneficial for those who need a high level view of certain projects or even those who only have a few projects.

3 Likes

Has Homepage rolled out to everyone? I don’t see it yet?

Not just yet @Nathaniel_Cassidy, but it should be fully rolled out within the next few weeks!

To quickly get to “My Tasks” no matter where you are, just use the keyboard shortcut Tab+z. I use this one a lot every day.

1 Like

I agree. Everything about the homepage right now is redundant at the moment. Can we have this toggled off so we’re not seeing it every time we login?

The limiting factor at the moment for me is if you’re doing program, project management and also task managing your own workload. Really looking forward to the home page and dashboard collapsing into a single view. The concept at 8:27 of this video Unveiling the Future of Asana • Asana is great, but there are a number of small steps that are already available that could be rolled up into a single overview. Very keen on this. It will be a an absolute game changer for me and my clients.

2 Likes

Really disappointing to hear that dashboards are being retired. It seems like a sure step away from the PMO / Project Director role and into being buried in detail, so is quite a setback.

As I can tell the new Home page just tells me when I visited a project last - no run charts, status colours or status comments, so is of very limited value. I really hope that some of this detail makes its way to the home page very soon.

3 Likes

I do not agree. Find Homepage very usefull. Want to have it in each workspace.

The “Home” page is simply redundant and useless information without intention behind it’s layout or utility – especially because it’s not able to be customized.

Perhaps make it a combo of My Tasks, Dashboard, Calendar, Timeline, a custom-field sort, etc of user-programable blocks of data that can be moved around/prioritized with custom data… then we’d have something useful. Please either improve or make optional.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to be annoyed with the fact that the page is not informative and frustrated that I can’t simply get rid of it.

1 Like

Totally agree. I’m interested to see what Asana might do with the homepage in the future, especially if they make it more dynamic and adaptive. But at the moment, it’s rudimentary and seems near-pointless.

The recent projects view would be helpful to some, but not, as you say, if you have hundreds of projects. On the other end of the spectrum, it’s also pretty useless for people like me, who have only a handful of active projects at any one time, and inevitably end up with a recent projects list that’s almost identical to their favourite projects list.

As for the favourite projects list, I don’t know why anyone would want to trade the smartly tailored, up-to-date information of inbox or my tasks, for a duplicate set of buttons they already had on the menu bar.

I’ve always set my PC up to auto-open Asana in My Tasks view, so I only see the homepage if I click on it. And of course, I never have any reason to click on it, since it offers so little actual utility. It’s hard to imagine just about anyone going to this homepage voluntarily, if it wasn’t forced upon them as a default. Which is a pretty harsh indictment of the homepage in its current form.

2 Likes

Simple solution: Provide a switch for the user to choose whether to land on the Home Page or the My Tasks page. It was the first thing I looked for, and I was appalled to discover it does not exist.

Let the user choose what page to land on, please!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for an option like this for the project board view.
It would be really helpful in order to visually distinguish cards/tasks on the board.
Having all of the cards on the board appear white makes it hard to distinguish between task types.

1 Like

I’ve been using Asana for quite some time and I have to say the UI is getting harder and harder for me to be a loyal user. Recently my team has moved to another solution platform “Quire” because we’re looking for something more simple and intuitive.

2 Likes

I use Asana to manage different teams.

I want to use the home page as an easy way to see where things are up to.

Here’s a few easy ways to do this:

• Add sorting. By priority, status, due date or alphabetical. Be good to show these as well.
  • Let each icon be customizable.
  • Show all projects for each team. Recent projects or favorites is not helpful to me.
  • Add a description label to each of the tiles that we can change.
  • Add a progress bar to each tile ie. 60% complete.

Let your imagination run wild. I don’t want to micro-manage each project, just highlight urgent ones.

Hi folks,

The newest version of our Home is now fully rolled out. You can learn more about it in Asana Flow packages Workflow Builder, Home, and Reporting to help you create more connected workflows and this handy new guide article.

If you have specific requests please create new threads in the #productfeedback category so we can follow on each request individually.

1 Like