Hide completed subtasks

subtasks

Please please please please please please. For an app that has such beautiful UX, this is the one glaring oversight that makes this panel VERY difficult to use. Any amount of subtasks beyond like 4 or 5 and it just gets cumbersome. I just end up having to delete every task instead of completing it, just so uncompleted tasks don’t get lost!

This. Would. Be. Super. Helpful. :smiley:

I’ve been wanting this for years now. C’mon! Please?

Marie - is there a reason this thread has been going on for over 18 months and Asana haven’t addressed it?

It seems like there’s no negatives to offering this functionality for users, and I can’t imagine it’s particularly complex given normal tasks disappear once complex if set to view “Incomplete Tasks” only.

There’s clearly many people that would find this useful, so I’m not fully sure what the point of this forum is if the feedback just gets ignored?

Hi @TomH87 and thanks for reaching out!

I’m aware this feedback is very popular in the Forum; we’re always trying to action as many feedback as possible, but our Development Team has to balance feedback from the Forum with the feedback we receive from other channels, as well as the development of new features. As you can imagine, with hundreds of feedback received every day, we don’t have the capacity to make every request/feedback happen on time; while I can’t promise this will be introduced in the near future, I’ll make sure to make a note to our Product Team to highlight how critical is that feature request. Thanks again for your patience and understanding!

1 Like

Thanks Marie - much appreciated!

1 Like

+1. It’s telling that Google autocompletes “Asana hid” with “Asana hide completed subtasks” (and that’s even before “Asana hide completed tasks”).

1 Like

@marie. One more vote for Hide Subtasks. This seems to me this should be a top priority for the Dev team. For every person who requests it, Ten more are thinking it. There are other platforms that do this, and we might just bail on Asana to use them.

Another vote - please please for the love of all things organised

1 Like

+1 We manage many projects so set broad categories as Projects then use tasks and subtasks to manage the individual projects. Being able to hide completed subtasks would be amazing!

Hi guys. I’ve found the best work around for this for now, which isn’t perfect for everyone, but the next best thing.

When you have loads of completed subtasks, you can highlight them by clicking and holding over the task, and dragging down. Once highlighted, you can go to the left hand side of the task and a little grid comes up, which if you click and hold you can drag all of the subtasks. If you drop them in to another project, they will all disappear. But the benefit is that you can still search for them. So the sub tasks aren’t deleted all together, but they just don’t show under the main task anymore, so it looks a lot clearer.

This is of course no good if you need the subtasks to always appear under the main task, but given most people want these hidden, we’ve found we don’t often need to go back to them, but we just don’t want them deleted all together.

This option for dragging the sub tasks away and dropping them in to another project may be a good option for some people to clear up main tasks that they use for recurring events. Hopefully this helps at least a few of your until Asana give us the option to have completed subtasks completely hidden.

Cheers guys!

Tom

1 Like

I’d like to be able to toggle on/off completed and uncompleted subtasks. At the moment, subtasks, once ticked off, still remain in the list. If you have a long list of subtasks then that involves a lot of scrolling down. It would be so much better if one could display or hide completed subtasks in the same way as you can with tasks in the project

Hi @David_Pollacchi and thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged you post into this existing thread to gather all feedback on this topic in one place!

+1, this would really help clean up subtasks. :+1:

is this likely to happen anytime soon? It would be really helpful!

+10000000000.

But seeing that this has been requested since 2017 (and I’ve been seeing other minor but hugely helpful feature improvements going back that far as well), my hopes aren’t high that this will be addressed anytime soon.

Little things like this > huge new features like Portfolios & Timelines etc IMO.

With the main view set to “Incomplete Tasks”, only main tasks that are incomplete are visible - good. However, a main task with many subtasks continues to show all completed subtasks, just greyed out. This clutters the subtask view and creates a lot of scrolling to get to the important (incomplete) subtasks. I don’t see a way to extend the view to apply to subtasks as well - can you add that or even just group the complete subtasks under a dropdown arrow to get them out of the way?

Thanks,

Rob

I subscribe to this feature request.

I think we can say that your request is very close to Hide completed subtasks, maybe a moderator can merge the threads? @Marie

1 Like

Hi @Rob_Bates, welcome to the Community Forum!

Thanks for sharing this feedback, as @Bastien_Siebman mentioned we already have a similar thread. I’ve gone ahead and merge them. I hope you don’t mind :slightly_smiling_face: let me know if you have any questions.