Free, handy AI-assisted Goblin Tools breaks down tasks (and more); designed for neurodivergent people and useful to all

Goblin Tools offers innovative, AI-assisted features that can significantly benefit Asana users with powerful always-free features (and paid options too).

Two key tools are Magic ToDo and Compiler.

Magic ToDo (“Breaking things down so you don’t”)

Magic ToDo automatically breaks down tasks into smaller, manageable steps, which themselves can be further broken down. Note the nice, actionable verb-noun structure to the generated step names.

Add a new item like this:

… then see this generated result after breakdown:

The Spiciness Level lets you adjust how granular to make the substeps list:

You can paste the resulting list into an Asana project or My Tasks in several ways:

• In a list view to generate separate top-level tasks,
  • In a task detail pane to generate separate subtasks, or
  • In a description or comment to generate a bulleted list

Compiler (“Compile my braindump into a list of tasks”)

Compiler distills your (disorganized) notes, thoughts, brainstorming, etc. into a list of actionable tasks:

Type or dictate your brain dump:

After turning into tasks (click “Turn into tasks” repeatedly if you don’t like the first results):

Conclusion

For those without access to Asana AI, which offers similar features but only in specific places, or those looking for a more flexible use of this kind of tool, these two Goblin Tools offer quick and simple helpers. Speed up your work in enumerating tasks and specifying tasks and subtasks at the proper level of granularity for the project or task at hand. Useful for GTD (“Getting Things Done”) proponents and others looking to create manageable “next actions.”

Learn more about Goblin Tools’ sensible and ethical approach and reasonable, transparent privacy policy. (Both are brief.)

For more tips, see Curated Index by Topic of Larry’s (@lpb’s) 50+ Forum Leader Tips

Thanks,

Larry

12 Likes

Great tips, thanks @lpb :wink:

I’ve tested it and that’s super easy to use, full of cool options (I love the spiciness of breaking down a task :hot_pepper: :grin:)

Definitely compatible with multiple Asana use-cases and some possible inspiration for the AI team.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Arthur_BEGOU, for trying it so immediately and those nice comments.

Do feel free to bring it up to any Asana AI team folks you might run into as I know you have a focus on AI.

1 Like

Thank you @lpb, this couldn’t have come at a better time. I have a few projects that I am trying to get into Asana and I keep getting overwhelmed with where to start. I will be trying this when I start my day tomorrow :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Welcome, @Sandra_Hickman, and best wishes tomorrow!

This was so timely! I was just asked to help with a project and couldn’t get my thoughts in order, but this did the trick. Thank you, @lpb !

2 Likes

Welcome, @ArlinA, and so happy to hear this; thanks for writing.

THis is such an awesome tool for making AI more accessible! I am a huge ChatGPT fan but this is way easier to introduce people to who aren’t likely to want to invest the time to learn prompting!

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, @Joy_Strube; great point!

I really love Goblin as well. I’m fairly new to Asana. Is there a way to copy/paste or “bulk” import a Goblin-generated task list into Asana so that each item in the Goblin list could get its own Task or Subtask in Asana (without having to create each one individually)?

1 Like

Welcome, @Elizabeth_Hayward,

So those first two are what you’re after, I think.

If you copy from Goblin (select all, Ctrl/Cmd+C), then go to an Asana project or My Tasks List view, click Add a task to open up a blank task as if you’re about to type, but instead do Ctrl/Cmd+V. That should create the tasks.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry! Great information, and great seeing your contributions! This is Mariana, formerly COO at MFV.

Welcome, @Mariana_Martinez, and so nice to be back in touch with you and see you here. It was a pleasure working with before and hope we have another opportunity.

Larry

This is awesome! Always on the move, with less time to structure tasks, compiler is a life saver. Thank you @lpb

1 Like