Due Date Notifications for task that are overdue

@Nathalie_Machado,

Re:

Might creating a follow-up task work for you? You can choose the exact date (but Asana doesn’t notify you based on exact time, only once the morning of any tasks due on that day.

You can also do that from the Inbox itself as is shown at the end of this help article:

Larry

1 Like

Hi, how can we set a reminder when Due Date is missing. There are sometimes people forget the date of deadline on Asana task.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Daniel_Llanto :smiley: and thank you so much for reaching out!

As it stands, it is not possible to customise email reminders and overdue tasks do not trigger any email or inbox notification.

One workaround could be to create a private “Follow-Up” Project specifically designated to track your colleague’s work. You can place there follow-up task with a subsequent due date of tasks you want to make sure they are completed to remind your colleagues they have overdue Tasks to that need to be completed.

To create a follow-up task you just need to:

1. Click the three dot icon in the right pane
  2. Click on Create Follow-up task

I hope this helps! Have a great week!

3 Likes

Is there an ability to be notified when someone misses a due date and doesn’t complete a task? If not, that would be a great addition.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Mckenna and thank you for reaching out!

There is an existing thread regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it! Please, don’t forget to upvote it! :slight_smile:

I think it is the best solution!

I personally have it that way.

Follow-up tasks in a private project.

Very important!! When the person from whom we are waiting for the task, completes it, the link within the monitoring task, appears with a “check” in front, so we can know that you have completed the task without going to the source project

Example: Follow link incomplete inside task details
Create contact form

Example: Follow link complete inside task details
:heavy_check_mark: Create contact Form

All the best from Barcelona :es:

1 Like

Dear Natalia,

Many thanks. It’s a bit gobsmacking that Asana doesn’t have what appears to me to be a very basic feature for project management software. wil

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I love Asana, but I just cant believe why you resist the insistent request of developing a push notification as remiden for due dates. It’s so so so basic

I invested so much time looking for this feature believing that the problem was me for not finding it.

It this feature in your roadmap? Does it have any release date?

15 Likes

So. We are in 2020 now (March).
I was just about to introduce Asana in the company but without e-mail notifications about tasks due it seems that there is absolutely no point of using it for the daily tasks.
Any ideas why for such a long time nothing was done to actually get this functionality added?

5 Likes

@Natalia
+1000 to get a reminder when a task comes due on the day and time it is due.

Creating a separate task for follow-up doesn’t have the rapidity I need in working with tasks.

As an example, I was swamped yesterday. Had a task due at noon. Only realized it when I logged in this morning.

Really wish time triggers/ Due Date notifications would come flying into my inbox or a notification would appear in the browser, like a :supervillain: I had to fight.

In your Asana today, set a Due Date of today, for 3:00 pm that you need to send an email to yourself to email me back responding to this post. But don’t be logged into your Asana. In essence, forget about the task, but, pretend you really need to let me know by 3:00 pm that this is a feature you were going to discuss with your boss and let me know by 3:00 pm.

Let me know your thoughts! Appreciate it.
LL

2 Likes

FYI I’ve just introduced date-based rule triggers in Flowsana, meaning you can now get an email notification when a task is past due. This is what the rule would look like to set up:

There are a number of other date-based options besides “task is past due”; you can see the whole list here.

Hi all! I’m Nicole, a Product Manager at Asana. We’d like to invite you to participate in some research around how our customers get time-sensitive work done.

We’re curious to learn what you need so we can build features to help you get your work done on time! If you’re interested, please fill out this form and we’ll reach out to schedule a chat if you’re a match for the study.

We’re looking for users to speak with us for 30 minutes, and we’re able to send $50 for your time. All interviews will be conducted remotely.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts with our team and helping us make Asana better for you!

Nicole

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’ve experienced lack of “due date” push-notifications functionality as well and fixed a problem: I developed a Chrome extension for that! Please, try it, and if you have some questions or suggestions, feel free to reach me out by my facebook

While I have a report that I run on past due tasks for everyone on my team and check-in on them with it, I wish there was a way for people to have past due tasks get more into their faces:

1. Home: Highlight past due tasks in a section.
  2. My Tasks: Highlight past due tasks more strongly than just by making the date red.
  3. Inbox: Periodically put things in inbox after X many days due
  4. Pop-up after X period of days where it prompts people to complete, change date, or reassign the task.
2 Likes

Hi @Heather_Slania, thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

We already have a thread in our #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Due Date Notifications for task that are overdue - #33 by nicole_greenberg to centralize feedback. In the main thread you can also find some workarounds. I’ll also keep you updated if I have any news about this feature!

I don’t see much use of a automated management software if it doesn’t have custom notification settings. Requesting this. Thanks

So you expected to get a notification as soon as the time passed on that day?
Indeed Asana does not have time notifications, there is another dedicated thread about it.

Hi @Adamya, thanks for reaching out! As Bastien mentioned, it’s currently not possible to get reminder notifications for overdue tasks. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback. We don’t have updates about this feature yet but we will send updates as soon as we have them!

Hi all!

I’ve some great news to share! We’re launching a new set of triggers allowing you to set rules for tasks overdue - so you can now leverage Rules to post a reminder comment or adjust your task due date. More info in New triggers for Rules: “Due date is approaching” and “Task is Overdue”