“Due date is approaching” and “Task is Overdue" E-Mail triggers

Hi, is it possible to get an email notification from Asana when I have a task that is upcoming in a day or when a task is overdue? It would be great if Task XYZ in a project is overdue, it sends me an email saying Task XYZ is overdue…this would alert me vs having to go into Asana and check all the time. I know there is a daily email task reminder, but I would like to get more specific than that.

3 Likes

Hi @James_Zietsma

What you can do is leverage these two new triggers to add a comment to tasks with a due date approaching or overdue. New comments on tasks you’re following will automatically trigger an email notification providing your email notifications are set correctly. More info on notifications in this guide article: Email notifications from Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps!

Hi there, no that does not work actually…I have tried that (I opened up a support ticket with Asana). This was the answer from Support “I believe since you created the Rule the system recognizes it as you making the comment which is why you don’t receive the email notifications for it and just the Asana Inbox notification” - So i guess if I make a comment on one of my tasks, I dont not get an email notification, which seems quite restrictive to be honest. And yes, my email notifications are all on and active

2 Likes

Hey James, I believe this could be achieved through some custom Python code in combination with Asana’s API. I’ve implemented similar things in the past and would be happy to take a look at your project to see what’s possible.

Hi @James_Zietsma,

FYI this can easily be accomplished via a Flowsana rule of “When a task is past due (or whatever date condition you want), send an email notification to the task’s assignee”.

1 Like

I’m looking to do the same thing and looking for an alternative to Flowsana (which I already have set up). The problem I’m encountering (which Flowsana is aware of via the Asana expert I’m working with) is that when the task is overdue, unless someone moves the due date, the system fires an email to the recipients every day. Eg task becomes 3 days over due, and no one does anything, they get the same email at 3 days overdue, 4 days overdue, 5 days overdue etc.

If someone is behind on a task, then they’re probably busy. I’ve tested the system and it just feels like harassment to keep getting these emails every day especially when the person is assigned more than 1 task that could be behind.

I want the equivalent of a gentle reminder to say “hey, this is late”, what’s happening, and for me that means sending the email once and that’s it.

I’m shopping around for alternatives to Flowsana for this job. Is anyone aware of any other third party apps that might be able to do this job i.e. when a task becomes X days overdue, send one email please?

I’ve had no joy with Unito, I’m reaching out to Zapier, and will keep Googling. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. It’s very important to a structure I’m rolling out in my company so I will keep searching for a proper solution.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Hi Sofia,

Yes, we’re considering an option to address this scenario.

Or marks the task complete, which will also stop the rule from firing.

Are there any updates to this question/issue? Can this be done natively in Asana or is 3rd party software needed?

3 Likes