Don't show recurring tasks until due date

I have a monthly task for each employee. I was hoping to create a recurring task that won’t show until the first of each month (to avoid clutter).

The only way I’ve found how to set it up, a new task is created immediately when the old one is completed. Is there any way to delay creation of the new task until the first of each month? I’m afraid the current functionality will confuse our staff and add extra clutter to their to-do’s given they can’t actually take action on the task until next month.

3 Likes

I would love this feature! Great ask!

Hi @jackson1 and welcome to the Forum :wave:t5:

That is a great question! What you have explained is correct. When you set a task to repeat, once you mark it complete, it will immediately duplicate all the information into a new task with a new due date.

As it stands, there isn’t a way to manually set when the next recurrent task should be generated but one way to avoid confusion or to set some clearance on your staff to-do’s is to move the recurrent task to the Later Section of their My Task. Have a look at this "“Hack” that allows you to automatically move recurring tasks to the Later section.

By doing this the task will automatically move to the Upcoming section seven days before the task’s due date and to Today at midnight on the day of the task’s due date. You can read more in the following Guide article: How to Get Started With Asana My Tasks | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps @jackson1 and @Bill_Pataky but please let me know if you have any follow up question!

Coincidently I just opened a post in product feedback making this same point. Intuitively I would have expected recurring tasks to work like this. This is how they work in most other apps (todo apps, calendars etc.).

I’m not sure of the usefulness of the current implementation as it relies on you finishing the current task (so if you forget to do that it doesn’t repeat). Furthermore the new task is created immediately so you if you have a “monthly” task it sits around in your task board for 30 days before the “deadline” you actually need to complete the task on.

4 Likes

Hey @Natalia, thanks for the response. It doesn’t quite solve the problem though. We have folks on our team who really don’t want to see things on their to-do list until they’re within range. Call them uptight, but what they’re doing now is taking their names out of the recurring subtasks - kind of defeating the purpose of the feature.

2 Likes