Don't prompt for which Google Account to use for every single file attachment

Every time I go to attach a file from Google Drive, I have to re-pick which Google Account I want to use. There are two things wrong here:

1. I’ve logged into Asana with a Google Account. Google oAuth allows ‘hinting’ a specific user account to use, and it makes sense that if i’ve logged into Asana with a particular G-Suite account, then that’s probably the one I want to use for google Drive.

2. Even if that were not the case, most apps that integrate with Drive store the Google Account oAuth token, and just re-use that, rather than prompting over and over and over to pick which google login to connect with. This is a much better option.

NB: If this seems like a limitation, you can always include a ‘use a different google account’ option in the Google Drive file-picker header, that redirects down the account selection path currently used. You would probably want to store the Google Drive oAuth token per Asana organisation, so switching Orgs also switches default Google Drive to present.

nb: See also Google Drive File Picker which is a much bigger problem.

4 Likes

Came here to write just this. Thanks, Justin.

2 Likes

I’m facing the same issue, it’s really annoying to have to select which google account I want to use every time I attach a file in Asana. It’d be great if Asana could address this!

2 Likes

987 views. only 22 votes? C’mon people.

2 Likes

Hey @Lisa_Peterson, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

No worries if not everybody has voted. When Asana checks popular user requests they also take into consideration how many views a request has.

Awesome. Good to know.

1 Like
  1. Every time I need to add a file stored in Google Drive to a task in Asana, I have to re-sign into Google to authorize it. Appears to be the same both the web browser and app versions of Asana.

2. When I do sign in, I get a listing of ALL Google Drive folders shared with me, in either date modified order or alphabetical sort. It doesn’t display just my personal Google Drive folders. I am an Admin in our Google Drive account so I’m met with an overwhelming amount of files/folders that were edited/modified in my whole Google Workspace account.

3. The search function appears to only search the very first letter that I type, it doesn’t auto-complete with options of folders that match what I’m typing. I have to scroll down about 50% to find an exact match to what I’m searching, for example I search “ABC | Monthly Report” and I have a folder named exactly that, it still is not returned at the top of the list, I have a plethora of individual files listed containing some part of what I searched, folders with partial matches and then about 50% down the list I can find the exact folder.

Hi @Hluoma, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Thanks for providing this feedback. I’m going to move this post to #productfeedback so folks in the community can upvote it and so our developers can get a better look at the needs of our members :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know if we have any updates!

I am having the same issue!!

I cannot get to my main Google Drive folders.

This makes using the attach feature worthless.
Please help ASAP!!

I found somewhat of a workaround. I created Shared Drive folders and added shortcut links to several common folders I upload to for attachment purposes. That way you can click attach, sign into Google and then toggle to “Shared drives”, enter a shared drive and then go through to a specific destination by way of a shortcut. Instead of having to do a search which returns all sorts of results.

Besides removing the need to sign in each time, I think Asana needs to update the web view used for Google Drive. It would be great to have tabs for Recent and Starred.

I have 2 google accounts and 2 matching asana accounts, so tend to switch between them at times.

when i want to attach a google drive file, EVERY TIME I’m asked to log back into google drive, even though i’m already logged into asana via one of the accounts.

it there a way to prevent this? is there a way to associate the correct drive account to the asana account? or does asana just have problems with multiple google accounts?

I don’t think this is a problem related to multiple drives. Unless there’s a workaround I’m unaware of:

• The “log-in before every upload” requirement exists even if you’re using the same drive account every time. If you’re logged into asana with your gmail account and are logged into your google account (say, with gmail on a separate tab), the authentication should take one click and less than a second.
  • Logging into asana with google account: “foo@bar.com” doesn’t automatically give you access to the gdrive associated with account “foo@bar.com
  • There currently is no option to make google drive remember that you approved the linkage between the accounts. Therefore, you need to log in every time.

Potential (but not ideal) solution:
I directly paste links to gdrive folders or files into asana instead of uploading from drive. For most situations, this should work well. This solution falls down if there are people in your asana organization that don’t have email addresses in your drive’s domain. (so “bob@gmail.com” tries to use a link to a gdrive file owned by someone “@business.com”)

3 Likes

+1 to Geoff’'s request. It’s a small thing but I like the cleanliness of the drive direct API links and it is annoying to have to keep clicking into the account associated with the docs I want to attach. Feature request??

8 Likes

I want to add to the requests that Asana can keep track of my google drive authentication so I don’t have to log in every time I want to attach a file!

5 Likes

The fact that this is still an issue 2 years after this was posted is a bit ridiculous. It takes our team extra time to login every time we want to upload a file. There has to be a better option here by now?

5 Likes

+1 - It would be nice to have it cookie the authentication.

1 Like

+1 please solve Asana!

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Not sure if this is exactly a bug or more a request but for each project, we’ve added Google Drive integration it consistently asks us to log in for each project. Can we somehow set it once on accounts to use the same google drive account for each project?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new project.
  2. Add Google Drive Integration.
  3. Attach a file
  4. Be prompted to log in.
    Repeat for any new project.

Browser version: Vivaldi 5.7

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @anon22591531!

Yeah it seems common that you have to connect it for every project separately.
Here was a post about this as well.

Also this might be an interesting feedback request thread for you to upvote.

1 Like