🔔 Don’t worry about others being notified

Hello @Michael_Gratale,

yes we have the same rules reg Whatsapp and when to use Asana/email because some things should not be discussed on chats when they can be directly discussed in Asana under the relevant task.

We even mention this in our onboarding pack already and regularly remind the team in times when chat just gets too busy and disturbing.

Also most in the team have a separate phone number to be able to use WA business for work separately and only see the messages when opening the app.

Now I do agree with the point about team culture and that every team has to discuss these things and find a middle ground.

And it also depends on factors such as: are team members located in different countries/timezones. In the team I work in for example we have team members from around the globe meaning it is unavoidable to send messages at times not convenient for others.
But yeah we have the rule that everybody just handles their notifications which works well.

2 Likes

Thanks, Andrea. Yeah, tricky for sure! I know my manager is ultimately concerned about us working TOO much and becoming disenchanted with our jobs, which, of course, IS a consideration. Maybe I need to get a life, but I often look forward most to the Saturdays I know I can stay on the sofa with my dogs, my laptop, and HGTV as background noise.

2 Likes

Yes sure this I agree with this, but then for me it is a matter of communication on how this is communicated - why the manager does not want this :slight_smile:
Because sometimes (if the work allows flexible schedules) team members might prefer working a few hours on the weekend and instead reducing the hours another day in the week as they can just get more done then.

So I guess if both parties state their reasons on why then a good common ground can be reached.

2 Likes

It only does if you have your notifications on. I guess that’s my main point: I don’t see any reason, except for devops team for example, to get a ping on your phone everytime there is a Slack message or email. If you do, even during the day, it must be a nightmare to concentrate :confused:

It is quite nice to experience work with a fully distributed team. I am working with such a company, you never know where people are or in which timezone, so you just work asynchronously without thinking about it.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Edit

I might just be lucky, in fact, to not have fire drills… When I do, my partner or colleagues know that they need to call me. Slack and email don’t generate any noise on my phone.

2 Likes

Or just add the ability to schedule comments