Does a project template require an owner?

Hopefully this is an easy one. We have a couple of project templates set up within our team. As the person who created them, I’m set as the project owner in both cases. Consequently, every time someone creates a new project from this template, I get a notification that someone has shared the project with me, and I’m automatically added as a collaborator to every task. This means manually selecting all tasks in the project (in 2 parts, because there are more than 50 tasks) and removing myself as a collaborator, or I get lots of notifications on projects in which I have no interest.

I’ve looked at the option of removing myself as a project owner, but then I get this warning:

If I remove myself, there’ll be no project owner or members, and I’m assuming the project will be in some kind of limbo. Is that true? If so, is there a way I can stop being added to all of these projects? I’ve never noticed this being a problem until recently.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi @Mark_Hudson,

If you remove yourself from the template you created and there is no other project member, the template will still be searchable, and you can even add it as a favorite. Another alternative would be to store the URL in a task or project.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks @Marie. My only problem then, however, is that if there’s no owner and no project members, none of us will be able to edit, remove or delete the template in the future. Is that correct?

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, that’s correct, in this case, you will be able to search the template and use it to create new project, but you won’t have editing permissions! I honestly never came across this question before, but it definitely sounds like something we need to improve. Would you mind creating a #productfeedback thread, and on my end, I’ll escalate a task to see if this is something we’re planning to address in the near future!

1 Like

No problem, @Marie. I’ll create it now. Thanks for the quick response! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my product feedback about this very thing from February. Seems like a simple fix. I’m also surprised this issue isn’t brought up more often. My inbox is spammed every time I lead an onboarding based on my template.

Hi! We also have project templates I created, and I noticed the same problem.
So I’ve remove myself as a project owner. I was thinking that, as an Administrator, I would be able to take back the control of these projects anytime. But, when I tried to edit one of our templates, I was unable to do it! And now I read this subject, and also that.
So I don’t know what to do. @Marie could you help me with that ?

Hi @Cloé, please reach out to our support team following these steps: How to contact our Support Team ✉ they should be able to help you gain access back to these templates.

1 Like