Display Team Capacity in Portfolio's "Workload Tab" to support Agile Planning

The workload tab is great for road map planning and projecting how much the team will get done at a given time however it requires tasks to be assigned to team members before allowing me to do any sort of capacity planning. This is counter intuitive to the agile development workflow where, rather than assigning tasks in advance, team members self-assign themselves to the next task in the backlog after they complete their current task.

To fix this, it would be incredible helpful to view capacity at a team-level rather than individual. This is my suggestion…
There is already an “Unassigned” row in the workload that will display scheduled tasks, however it doesn’t seem to know anything about capacity. My suggestion is to add the same visualization there as the other rows but based on the “Total Remaining Team Capacity”.

Example 1:
If your team capacity was 10 story points per week, and there is nothing scheduled for any individual member that week, the “Unassigned” visualization would allow 10 story points that week before turning red.

Example 2:
If your team capacity was 10 story points per week, and there is 5 points of work scheduled across any individual members for the week, the “Unassigned” visualization would allow 5 story points that week before turning red.

Here is a simple mock-up of how it could look

Thanks!

5 Likes

Giving my vote for this. Thanks for this recommendation @anon97395500. This would be very helpful for workload planning.

3 Likes

@Julien_RENAUD interesting to add to your topic around Workload