Disable comment-only projects

Recently, we discovered that all new projects that we create are comment-only, requiring the project owner to manually assign permissions. Previously, our team was configured to allow anyone in the team write access to every new project that was created. Is there a way to disable comment-only projects and revert to allowing all members of a team to have write access to new projects?

I was browsing the API endpoints, and could not find any flag to disable comment-only, and I couldn’t find any endpoints that allow for setting user permissions on a project. If disabling comment-only projects is not possible, is there a set of APIs that can be used to automatically assign the correct user permissions to each new project created?

3 Likes

We’re having a similar issue. Not only are newly created project automatically changing our team’s access to “Comment Only,” it seems this is happening to older completed projects as well. I’ve messaged Asana, hopefully this can be addressed quickly as it’s a huge time waster.

This change silently broke a business process for us, that I didn’t discover until now. All projects since this change is now missing data, because people could only comment on it, and so just gave up.

I can’t even remedy it going forward. I can’t find an API for changing the permissions on a project, it is only possible to read them.

Hmmm, I just tested and I see the same thing.

@AndrewWong @Jeff_Schneider @Matt_Bramlage @Kem_Ozbek What’s being discussed here is that the /projects/{project_gid}/duplicate endpoint used to create the duplicate project with its default permission set to “Can edit” but sometime recently this apparently changed and it now gets created with a default of “Can comment”.

Can one of you check on this and let us know if this is an intended change or a recently-introduced bug; and if it’s an intended change, what the rationale was for the change and more importantly, is there a plan to allow us to set a project to “Can edit” programmatically so we can get back to the previous behavior? Thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting this @Phil_Seeman and others. We’ll look into it and get back to you on this thread.

1 Like

Can confirm we create projects in the same way through the duplicate endpoint. Well spotted!

Hey @Phil_Seeman ,

Can you share the specific steps to reproduce what you see? I’m unable to produce the effect with the info given (i.e., “Can edit” carries over on my end). Feel free to DM with any particular project IDs as well. Thanks!

Andrew

Well, that’s bizarre; I was sure my source project was set to “Can edit” but you’re right! It was set to “Can comment”. and when I changed it to “Can edit” and did the duplication, the new project was “Can edit”.

@colin_mckibben_lr @Jonathan_Simoneaux @Aske_Doerge can you all check your source projects and see if they are set to “Can comment”; and if so, change them to “Can edit” and see if that resolves the issue?

1 Like

The templates were set to Can comment, which is bizarre because I’m the only one who creates and sets those templates, and I have never edited that option. Until just recently, all projects were created with team members having edit access.

~WRD0004.jpg

1 Like

We had quirky problem where the original owner of the project, was a deactivated account and no one could change the “Can Comment” setting on it.
We duplicated the project to a new owner, and pointed our app to use the new project in the future.

Thanks for helping out! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. @colin_mckibben_lr, feel free to reach back out if you’re still seeing any peculiar behavior as well :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @AndrewWong . My template project was set to “Comment Only” for team members. Changing it to “Can Edit” carried those permissions over to any projects I duplicated from the template.

1 Like

@AndrewWong I am having a similar issue. When I create a new project from within a team and use a template, it is automatically “comment only” even though the template settings are “anyone in team can edit.” Is there a way to default it so that every time I use the template, all team members “can edit”?