Disable comment-only projects

Recently, we discovered that all new projects that we create are comment-only, requiring the project owner to manually assign permissions. Previously, our team was configured to allow anyone in the team write access to every new project that was created. Is there a way to disable comment-only projects and revert to allowing all members of a team to have write access to new projects?

I was browsing the API endpoints, and could not find any flag to disable comment-only, and I couldn’t find any endpoints that allow for setting user permissions on a project. If disabling comment-only projects is not possible, is there a set of APIs that can be used to automatically assign the correct user permissions to each new project created?

2 Likes

We’re having a similar issue. Not only are newly created project automatically changing our team’s access to “Comment Only,” it seems this is happening to older completed projects as well. I’ve messaged Asana, hopefully this can be addressed quickly as it’s a huge time waster.

This change silently broke a business process for us, that I didn’t discover until now. All projects since this change is now missing data, because people could only comment on it, and so just gave up.

I can’t even remedy it going forward. I can’t find an API for changing the permissions on a project, it is only possible to read them.

Hmmm, I just tested and I see the same thing.

@AndrewWong @Jeff_Schneider @Matt_Bramlage @Kem_Ozbek What’s being discussed here is that the /projects/{project_gid}/duplicate endpoint used to create the duplicate project with its default permission set to “Can edit” but sometime recently this apparently changed and it now gets created with a default of “Can comment”.

Can one of you check on this and let us know if this is an intended change or a recently-introduced bug; and if it’s an intended change, what the rationale was for the change and more importantly, is there a plan to allow us to set a project to “Can edit” programmatically so we can get back to the previous behavior? Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this @Phil_Seeman and others. We’ll look into it and get back to you on this thread.

1 Like