Desktop Asana app

Iā€™d like to +1 this on the asana product cycle. The use case for offline changes on Windows is growing, as the ecosystem for the Surface-tablets and notebooks (and equivalents) is growing, which is trending into the IOS device sales. Unlike Apple, where the ecosystems are different between their mobile devices and computers, MS has decided to make it one platform. Since Android/Chromebooks arenā€™t useful for many of us, and IOS devices simply donā€™t have enough horsepower for many applications, many of us are using Windows portables. Evernote and other companies have studied this for awhile, which is why the client software is a necessity in the coming 5 years.

10 Likes

Agree this should be a top priority. Trello now has an offline desktop app, and though Iā€™m familiar with and would love to use Asana, the fact that our team travels a lot means that Iā€™m leaning toward switching us all to Trello. Could we get an update on whether a desktop app is in the works?

9 Likes

Thanks for the follow-up @Kathleen_Jean-Pierre! Unfortunately, I donā€™t have any update to share at the moment, and I donā€™t believe this is in our plans for the near future. With that said, Iā€™ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I hear anything regarding a potential Windows app.

All the best,

1 Like

My ā€œcanā€™t live withoutā€ to-do list is on Asana. Since I havenā€™t had the need to use the mobile app lately, Iā€™m scrambling. The Desktop app or offline capability on the desktop a big need.

3 Likes

I am a big fan of Asana but cannot move the company over to it if it does not have an offline mode for Windows (laptop). Need full access all the time, especially during travel and spotty wifi areas. Is it really not in the plan for Asana? I find this very surprising considering the importance from so many users. The mobile app is good for a mobile app but not for serious usage. If it is still not in the plans can you please let us know as we will need to look for another solution otherwise. Thank you.

7 Likes

Hi @Jake_Connolly and welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

I can confirm that this request hasnā€™t been prioritised for the near future. We understand why this would be useful to some of our customers and we will definitely continue considering this option in the future, but this is not something our Team is currently working on. Iā€™ll be sure to keep you posted on this thread as soon as I have additional information!

Major +1 here for offline use on the desktop. When weā€™re travelling, connectivity is spotty a lot and the mobile apps, as @Jake_Connolly said, are good but not realistically usable of actual day-to-day functional useā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Marie. Thank you for responding to my question. As much as I am surprised and very disappointed that Asana does not consider it a priority, I do appreciate you providing us with an honest, quick response.

Does anyone in this community have a recommendation for an alternative solution for collaborative, task/project management that has a full functioning offline mode?
Thank you.

5 Likes

Hello. Does anyone know if/when Asana will be creating a Windows desktop app? Web-based is fine but Iā€™d love to have an app that I can just pull up and offers notification pop-ups etc.

4 Likes

Hi @Madison_August :wave:t4: Welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

To answer your question, we currently donā€™t offer a Windows desktop app but great request. I will pass it onto our Development Team to consider for future updates to the product.

Thanks again for voicing your thoughts/needs with us, we really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Cathya :blush:

1 Like

just about to embark on a 12 hour plane journey. could really do with having an offline version. working from an iphone on the level i need to is far from ideal. Does anyone have any recommendations for software similar to Asana?

5 Likes

I would also prefer an application over using it in the web browser, it would make it easier to get my team on board with Asana. Are there any updates on this? Thanks

5 Likes

I have to say I find it quite odd that this is not a top priority. If you want to be taken seriously as a task management application, you need a dedicated app, plain and simple. I routinely have 20+ tabs open in my active browser which means that Asana gets lost very quickly. Unfortunately, if you make it difficult for me to use the product, it just wonā€™t get used.

10 Likes

Hello,

We tried using Asana and I figured we would give feedback. The main reason we stopped using Asana is the lack of a desktop app. We would not like to always have a web browser open to access our tasks. We need a solution to have something running on our machines with the pure purpose of task management. Web browsers often get closed and we do not want rely on it for our task management. We also do not want to be fumbling through browser windows and tabs to get to Asana. Bottom line, using a web browser for task management is not compatible with out work flow.

1 Like

There are ways to go around that, by using ā€œwrappersā€ like Fluid or Nativefier for example.

Thanks! Will try that out

Hi @Liam_McNair,

You might want to also take a look at Desksana, my Asana desktop client app in early stages of development.

1 Like

Thanks, Ill try that out too!

Please create an ASANA WINDOWS APP. I really need it.

7 Likes