Customizing the title/name of a form submission

When someone currently submits a form, a task is generated that is titled, “form name” + “submission.”

Our studio is testing using Asana Forms as a creative brief for our clients, and when clients are submitting projects into the queue, all projects are listed in our tasks with the same name.

Would it be possible to consider allowing one of the custom form fields, such as “Project Name” (in our case), to be assigned as the default task name instead of the form name itself? This would allow us to not only keep old/new submissions straight, but allow for the name to convey when the task is converted into a project.

4 Likes

@Erin_Pitts, Isn’t this already possible with #1 in the screenshot below from the Asana Guide on Forms?

You can assemble multiple answers, in order, comma-separated to be the title.

Larry

8 Likes

@lpb Interesting - I don’t have the same functionality you do. We’re on Business Level. This is all I see.

1 Like

Ah, never mind. i figured it out. Thank you @lpb!

2 Likes

we’re on premium, is this a business only feature, I cannot set title or default assignee…

i could set title previously, i’m near certain, but never saw the ability to set assignee – this link is inaccurate, or broken in latest upload: Create Forms in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

problem appears to be on moving project from one team to another, deleted and re-created fixed…

Correct - on Premium, you can set name/title of form, but not assignee.

(FYI you can set the assignee on Premium using the Forms Support feature of my Flowsana integration.)

So HOW can I set question to be a task name? I see Erin you figured it out, but could you share? I have the same view as you, no. I cannot find this function and asana guide is not helpful at all…

2 Likes

Hi @Piotr_Szymanski and welcome to the forum,

It’s the “Select a field for task titles” setting on the lower right-hand portion of Erin’s above screenshot.

Build a question (“field”) on your form which captures the value you want to be the task title; then select that question/field in the dropdown list under “Select a field for task titles”.

I was trying to do it and I checked that it’s impossible.
In the “connect to field” menu, there are only the description field and the custom fields.

Asana do you think to add it?

@Riccardo_Mares,

Did you see my solution; isn’t that what you’re looking for?:

Larry

Perfect! Thank you. Just what I was looking for!

1 Like

For people not understanding #1 from the image, if you click the drop down, it lets you select the fields. I just wish you could select the Form Name along with the Fields (don’t see why the Form Name has to be mutually exclusive from all the fields which you can multi select).

Thanks @lpb, I’d been trying to figure out how to do this for a while!

The forms are so powerful yet at the same time missing some key customization options that could super power automation (i.e. Everything that Flowsana seems to offer like tag integration).

Thanks, @Ragu_Kantamaneni, for the clarification and the nice comment.

Agreed! You could add a new Product Feedback request for this; I’d vote for it!

Thanks again,

Larry

The Asana guides are rarely helpful. The forums have answers sometimes, but to get the answer requires reading the entire thread and then piecing together through vague comments what solution actually worked.

I would be so happy to just add “Ticket Title” to the form.

Welcome, @Kenneth_Cather,

Are you trying to set the title of the task created by the form submission?

My earlier post in this thread shows how:

Thanks,

Larry

Have the same curiosity as @Erin_Pitts – for those involved in the project, it customizes the task title for us, but for those outside of the project (ie/ not members of Creative/Marketing), their automated e-mail receipt of submission is always titled as the form title – is there a way to customize it so that the receipt from the submitter is for the task title that they submitted for, or is that not possible since the automation of the receipt ‘runs’ prior to the ‘rule’ of the submission itself?

Right, @Michael_Loupos, that email confirmation of the form has already been sent.

If you include the requestor as a collaborator, if that’s an option, they could receive a notification of the title change if you wanted.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

FYI @Michael_Loupos the Forms Support workflow in our Flowsana integration lets you send a completely customized email message to the form submitter. In it, you can use the {task.Name} variable to include the actual task name in the email subject and/or body.

1 Like