Custom sort project list?

I’ve just logged in this morning (5/10/22) to find that my project list is sorted alphabetically and no longer has the custom sorting that I setup. How do I get the desktop app back to where I can use custom sorting? I don’t want to be forced to use alphabetical sorting, I prefer to organize the projects via other criteria.

Two things could have happened:

• Asana is testing something and now sorting projects (@Emily_Roman any idea?)
  • a colleague changed the order (there is no personal order, only a shared order)

Hi Bastien,

The projects are only used by me for onboarding new employees, and each project denotes one employee. I kept them sorted based off their status.

I used to be able to grab the project in the left hand pane and move it to wherever I wanted it, now when I do so it looks like I’m grabbing a URL and it has a green plus sign on it, like I’d be adding/moving it to a different team or segment.

Hi @Danny_Kilpatrick :wave:t3:

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Are you referring to projects under your “Favorite” projects, or projects under “Teams” you can see in the sidebar?

2. I believe you’re experiencing the issue on the Desktop app, correct? If so, can you log into the web version https://app.asana.com/ and let me know if you’re having the same issue there?

Looking forward to your reply!

1 Like

I am having the same issue with projects being listed alphabetically in the Projects sidebar. It’s a problem for me on Chrome and with the Desktop App for Mac.

I am only having the issue with a new trial account I set up, not with my legacy paid account I still have (on the old legacy account I can still rearrange the project list any way I like).

I should add, when I try to rearrange the project list, I get a plus sign beneath the cursor arrow with the project name and a web address underneath (rather than the sorting line you normally get).

Exactly what I was getting as well. Unable to do any follow up as I’m out of the office until Monday, but can confirm this behavior to be the same as mine.

Seems to be a bigger drag and drop issue - i also can’t reorder tasks in a project (in Chrome or Mac Desktop App)

Forget what I said about reordering tasks - I had Sort by Due Date selected…original problem with arranging projects in side panel still applies.

My issue resolved itself this morning. I didn’t change anything over the last few days (was out of the office from Wednesday till now) so I guess I’m all solved. Sorry for the apparent false alarm!

Hi there,

I am having the same issue now. I used to be able to click and drag my projects within the menu on the side bar to order them the way I want, but now I can’t. The only option is to order them by Recent or Top. How do I revert back to the old way where I can move my projects around?

Thanks

3 Likes

My issue resolved itself and so far has remained fixed.

I’m having this problem now! I was just complaining about not being able to sort and then discovered I can’t even drag and drop the damn things!

3 Likes

Same. I’m having the exact same problem. I used to be able to drag and re-order however I chose, but now I can only select “recent” or “top” to order them. I noticed there was a notification for new features in this section, maybe that broke this? Asana - help!!

2 Likes

So there’s now way to sort the Project list?

Welcome, @anon10753237 and @anon91475255,

You can sort the Team’s project still, but now you must do so in the Team page. In the sidebar, click the Team name to view the Team page. Drag and drop the projects to reorder them. The results will both be reflected there and back in the sidebar when you hover the team and see the popup list of projects.

In addition, you can Star projects to appear in the sidebar’s Projects list and you can drag and drop to sort that list directly in the sidebar itself. Star a project from the Team page with the project’s “. . .” menu, or at the top of the project while viewing it.

More info:

Larry

2 Likes

So does this mean that we can’t see the drop down menu of projects under Teams anymore? I liked the way this was set up. Thank you.

1 Like

So does this mean that we can’t see the drop down menu of projects under Teams anymore? I liked the way this was set up. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.