Custom fields needed on subtasks

time-tracking
subtasks
custom-fields
cost

Here’s the thing - the “expert users” of Asana or the “champions” can easily understand the workarounds or the intricacies of assigning subtasks to projects in order to set custom fields, but it’s not us that experience the issues. We only suffer the criticism of “choosing an immature platform” or “what is this junk application” when we have to explain the workaround to other users and execs.

From our point of view it’s a simple fix:

1. Automatically assign subtasks to the parent’s project, OR;
  2. Inherit any custom fields from the parent task

Then, when reviewing outstanding tasks, we can quickly order by priority (for example).

PLEASE ASANA - help make our lives, your champion’s lives, easier by implementing this critical feature.

0 Likes

Hi @Mike_O_Connell and thanks for reaching out.

I do understand where you’re coming from; our Forum champions (and other members of our Global community involved in the Forum) are doing a tremendous job at unblocking other users by creating paths where Asana doesn’t provide a built-in solution. I hear you when you say that these work well power-users but are more difficult for newer users; this is something we’re aware of, and rest ensured that we don’t see these workarounds as solutions; behind the scenes, our team is working on a more intuitive solution to resolve this. I’m also aware we received feedback on this topic for a while now, but while making subtasks automatically attached to their parent task project seems like an easy fix, it is, in reality, a lot more complex and touches many parts of our back end system.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and to let us know how challenging it can as an Asana leader in your company to position these workarounds; we appreciate your transparency and honesty.

On my end, I’ll make sure to loop you in as soon as I get an update, but if there is anything else I can help you with in the meantime, please let me know!

2 Likes

It would be helpful to either assign specific Custom Fields to individual columns or tasks, or for the ability to convert Subtasks into a dropdown menu

0 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @sneakyaneurysm and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! We actually have an existing thread on this topic in the Forum :point_right: Custom fields needed on subtasks, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to gather all feedback in one place! Hope you don’t mind :slight_smile:

1 Like