Custom fields needed on subtasks

Here’s the thing - the “expert users” of Asana or the “champions” can easily understand the workarounds or the intricacies of assigning subtasks to projects in order to set custom fields, but it’s not us that experience the issues. We only suffer the criticism of “choosing an immature platform” or “what is this junk application” when we have to explain the workaround to other users and execs.

From our point of view it’s a simple fix:

1. Automatically assign subtasks to the parent’s project, OR;
  2. Inherit any custom fields from the parent task

Then, when reviewing outstanding tasks, we can quickly order by priority (for example).

PLEASE ASANA - help make our lives, your champion’s lives, easier by implementing this critical feature.

Hi @Mike_O_Connell and thanks for reaching out.

I do understand where you’re coming from; our Forum champions (and other members of our Global community involved in the Forum) are doing a tremendous job at unblocking other users by creating paths where Asana doesn’t provide a built-in solution. I hear you when you say that these work well power-users but are more difficult for newer users; this is something we’re aware of, and rest ensured that we don’t see these workarounds as solutions; behind the scenes, our team is working on a more intuitive solution to resolve this. I’m also aware we received feedback on this topic for a while now, but while making subtasks automatically attached to their parent task project seems like an easy fix, it is, in reality, a lot more complex and touches many parts of our back end system.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and to let us know how challenging it can as an Asana leader in your company to position these workarounds; we appreciate your transparency and honesty.

On my end, I’ll make sure to loop you in as soon as I get an update, but if there is anything else I can help you with in the meantime, please let me know!

2 Likes

It would be helpful to either assign specific Custom Fields to individual columns or tasks, or for the ability to convert Subtasks into a dropdown menu

Welcome to the Forum @sneakyaneurysm and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! We actually have an existing thread on this topic in the Forum :point_right: Custom fields needed on subtasks, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to gather all feedback in one place! Hope you don’t mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to add fields in my Sub tasks.
Please let me know the steps to do that.

Thanks !

Hi @Pranjul_Sharma! This is a great question, subtasks do not inherit the project from their parent tasks for this reason you are not able to add custom fields. But you can quickly add subtasks to the project and you will be able to add custom fields.

You can do this by going into the subtask details and using Tab+P to open the project field or by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting “Add to Project.” Please find more information in this article.

Thanks for your feedback! We already have a product feedback thread on this topic, I have gone ahead and merged this post with Custom fields needed on subtasks - #63 I hope you don’t mind!

Let me know if you have any questions :wink:

Thanks @Emily_Roman

Never mind :wink: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It has been almost 3 years and 67 votes and still no custom fields in subtasks?!

+1 for custom fields on subtasks

69 votes for custom field on subtasks! @Janai_Wallace let’s make you #70!

+1 for custom fields on subtasks.

This is not a good option because it places the subtask (and sub-subtask, and sub-sub-subtask, etc.) on the main page level and that’s not where we want it to be. If one has a huge project, one divides the main level into an easier to grasp overview by depending on subtasks that can only be seen once the main task is clicked, and it’s at the subtask levels where the custom fields are also needed.

This is indeed a very bad option, but still a workaround :sweat_smile: Another workaround would be to have a second project with the same custom fields to which you add the subtasks. So the subtasks stay subtasks but they do have the fields

1 Like

Yes, I finally came to that second solution. :slight_smile: It does the trick.

1 Like

Workload + Custom Fields for subtasks would be a GAME CHANGER!!! I really hope that subtasks (in their inherent state, no workarounds) will be able to have custom fields applied in the near future. The ability to have one of these fields as an Effort condition to plot time allocations on tasks (and subtasks) across users would take Asana to the next level.

4 Likes

Agreed @LEGGO , we’ve just started using Workload but without the ability to track time for sub-tasks too it’s pretty useless for us.

2 Likes

I desperately need CUSTOM FIELDS for SUBTASKS. We are paying for 50 users and all of our projects have Tasks with MANY subtasks. It’s silly to have to add every individual subtask to some random project.

Please Asana, when will this simple fix be added? Custom Fields for Subtasks +1000 votes for me.

May be a dealbreaker if I can’t get this working in the near future.

6 Likes

+1 on sub-tasks having Custom Fields. :frowning:

+1 for custom fields on sub-tasks!

1 Like

Why are subtasks not automatically added to the parent tasks project?

2 Likes