Custom fields needed on subtasks

time-tracking
subtasks
custom-fields
cost

Currently scoping out project management software. Asana was the leader until we found out you couldn’t add custom fields to sub-tasks and will likely be the reason we go with another platform unfortunately.

Please promote this to the top of your dev queue! We are asking for almost 2 years now :wink:

Another vote for custom fields in subtasks!

Grant_Peterson…I’m in the same situation. Upgraded ASANA only to find that custom fields do not come into sub-tasks. Who doesn’t use sub-tasks!

Have a look at To Subtask or not to Subtask :stuck_out_tongue:

Another vote here (+1 vote) for the ability to assign custom fields to sub tasks!!!
We are very heavily dependant on time tracking for every task down to sub task and we cannot allocate the time correctly if we are not able to allocate it to the same custom fields we have in the task and this is going to cause us quite a few issues.
I am trialing Asana before we roll out company wide and have loved it until i came across this rather large bump in the road

Please please please move this item up in the development queue!

Would love to have the ability to add custom fields to subtasks. Right now I created a custom field for my project which has time estimate. Now I would also like the ability to size up the time estimate on a per subtask basis.

Another awesome ability is that the time estimate for the main task would auto add up based on the subtasks if nothing was filled for it. That would make it very powerful!

Its a bit of a work-around but the way that I get custom fields added to my subtasks is to add them to a project of their own as well as within the task. If that project has custom fields they will now appear in your subtasks. I then just use headers to separate subtasks out in their own sections (if you pre-build the section you can just selected from the dropdown next to the project within the task without going switching views) and now I also have a list view of all the subtasks for every task in my main project. It wouldn’t automatically add up the fields but it would make it easier to quickly grab those numbers to put in a calculator or export to an excel file for that purpose. You would add the subtask to a project by hitting Tab-P while in the edit view.

You might also want to check out the Harvest/Forecast integration - I don’t currently use it but Ive been looking into it and I think that it might fit your needs based on its functionality.

I hope that helps!

Custom fields are amazing and our team uses them extensively. However, we feel like we have to hack the system a bit to add custom fields to subtasks.

Since custom fields are tied to a project, we have to add each individual subtasks to a project in order to add custom fields to that subtask. This seems silly if the parent task is already added to a project with custom fields.

It would be nice if, on a project level, we were able to specify if the custom fields should propagate to subtasks or not.

Hi,

There are existing threads about having custom fields in subtask:

@Marie can probably merge your message with one of those!

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

Thanks @Bastien_Siebman :slight_smile:

Adding my vote for adding custom fields to subtasks without the aforementioned workaround(s). :slight_smile:

Why do I need payed plan if I can’t work with subtasks normally?
There is lack with timline, now I understed that there is lack with custom fields.
+100500 for global custom fields.

Asana, I have good developers, maybe you need them?

I echo the comments made so far. It’s highly restrictive to omit custom fields from subtasks and somewhat defeats the purpose of subtasks all together when we have to move/replicate subtasks to main projects. Would like to see this feature request bubbled up and to see what kind of fix can be implemented. Looking forward to a better user experience!

We really need this feature as well.

+1 for custom fields on subtasks

Im prospecting Asana as project manager for a bigdata company and the inability to create custom fields for subtasks is, unfortunately, a dealbreaker.

A workaround would be the ability to add custom fields to the Project description, currently custom fields live inside each task, if the Project description could have custom fields (instead of only Project Name and Description) it would be less of a deal breaker and more a nuisance we could live with until Asana implements subtask custom field.