Custom Fields in My Tasks

For the first 3-4 years, My Tasks was a special view, and not a regular ā€œprojectā€. It made it harder to add fields I guess. Then the migration to My Tasks v2 happened, which probably gives the foundation to code it now. However thatā€™s a challenge both technical and UI-UX wise, so we are just waiting to see if Asana will and how they will implement such a feature.

1 Like

Hi, we started using Asana last year and this is one of the first things we found was missing. The feature was raised 5 years ago and is an obvious win for individual task management. Surely the code base canā€™t be so bad that you canā€™t add something after 5 years for a program that is made for task management o_O.

4 Likes

It would be nice if the ā€œmy tasksā€ page included a column showing how many hours are planned for that task. Then I can easily see how many hours are planned for the day and exactly which tasks are on my plate in one view.

3 Likes

Hopefully in the future we will be able to add any CF from the library.

1 Like

Hi @Chelsea_Carter, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So hard to believe that itā€™s been nearly 5 years since this was proposed. This is a needed option and the original defense of ā€œwe donā€™t want to clutter the user experienceā€ seems like unnecessary decision-making on behalf of the user, especially when so many of them are clamoring for this option.

6 Likes

Iā€™d like to see Custom Fields in My Tasks. I want Task Progress such as waiting, seek clarification, etc. to display.

1 Like

Is there a way to prioritize the tasks in my ā€œTodayā€ section? Presently I have to read down the entire list and choose what to do next, there must be an easier way.
Thanks!

1 Like

@anon15930166 I donā€™t think there is a great way to do this. I, too, would love better options for prioritizing tasks in ā€œmy tasksā€. Hereā€™s what I do, in case it helps you:

• I use columns: Inbox, Working, Today, Upcoming
  • Inbox is anything new (to be reviewed and filed/sorted), like a GTD inbox
  • Working is what Iā€™m actively working on or coming up next. These are the top priorities, ā€œmust dosā€ for the day.
  • Today is everything else thatā€™s assigned to me and due today (yes including things I donā€™t get to ā€œtodayā€!)
  • Upcoming is anything else with a future due date

I use ā€œsort by due dateā€, which puts todayā€™s things (or overdue things) at top. Iā€™ve also experimented with ā€œsort: noneā€ which lets you drag tasks manually ā€” thatā€™s nice for manually prioritizing items (move them up and down) but in my case I would end up missing things if they were below the bottom of my screen. So I went back to ā€œsort by due dateā€ so Iā€™d be sure to see things bubble up and get my attention when the due dates arrive.

Good luck! Would love to hear what works best for you.

2 Likes

I have a similar approach to Scottā€™s. I live exclusively in ā€˜my tasksā€™ view and rarely if ever, go into a project. So, Iā€™ve made the ā€˜my tasksā€™ work by creating separate sections and adding some rules to help move tasks from section to section. Iā€™ve tried different approaches over the 6 years Iā€™ve used ASANA and have found this one works the best for me.

My sections are Recently Assigned, Today, This Week, Next Week, Upcoming and Ongoing.

I never leave anything in Recently Assigned. I immediately send it to its appropriate section and assign a due date of Monday on whatever week I want to review it. Assuming itā€™s not due this week.

I use the other sections like this:

Today - this is what I need to do today. Nothing else lives here. :slightly_smiling_face: If I donā€™t get something done or I need to move it due to other priorities I do that in the morning when I start my day.

This Week - What I want to do this week. Every Monday I go through the outstanding tasks I have assigned to that week and decide if I can get to them all [99% of the time I canā€™t]. Those I know I wonā€™t get to or are lower priority I move to Upcoming. Then I assign the day of the week I will work on the remaining task. The ASANA rule automatically moves those tasks up into my Today section on the specified day.

Upcoming - thatā€™s everything I wonā€™t get to this week. Whenever I get a new task I always assign it due on a Monday of whatever week/month I think I need to start it. My priorities change OFTEN so I like to look at things a week at a time.

I have a lot of balls in the air at any one time so Iā€™m pretty relentless in my organization, otherwise I will definitely forget something. The multi-select to change the due date and the section is a life-saver. Of course, if we had custom fields in this view it would be much simpler. I rarely get all my tasks for the week done but at least I am reviewing and pushing back things on a regular basis. Eventually, I will get tired of pushing something back and just do it to get it off my list!

Hereā€™s a screenshot of my task screen. I use sort by none - this will sort my tasks by my sections and then I drag the today tasks in the order I want to work on them.

5 Likes

@Jeanine_Scott1 thatā€™s great! Thanks for sharing. I neglected to mention that I also use some rules, most importantly to auto-move anything from the Upcoming column thatā€™s due ā€œtodayā€ into the Today column, so I wonā€™t miss it.

Seeing your screenshot, I think part of what I need is a MUCH bigger display, on which to fit all these tasks! :slight_smile:

LOL! Or fewer tasks? A huge screen (or two) does help a lot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Offering another approach for those that are comfortable with APIā€™s and/or Excel Power Query. The Asana API has a call that returns the list of task in a userā€™s My Task list.

This call returns all fields of a task along with the custom fields. Below is an example of the API call I make to obtain all my incomplete task in My Tasks. The response returned is in JSON so the user can use Power Query or another language/software to convert the JSON data to tabular data.

https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/user_task_lists/{user gid}/tasks?completed_since=now&opt_fields=assignee_section,created_at,custom_fields,due_on,name,notes,projects,resource_type,start_on,workspace

The way I use this:

1. I opened up my excel sheet that has all My Task and the custom field columns that I want to see.
  2. Refresh the data to bring all task information up to date and use excel table filtering, sorting, and conditional formatting to bring into view the task of interest.
  3. Open up my Asana desktop app and manage my task as necessary. This can mean adding comments, updating the task description, moving the task to another section under My Task, or editing other fields.

P.S Great workflow when you have two monitors or an ultrawide.

1 Like

That is brilliant, unfortunately I am not that savvy in this area. I do see us sharing ideas of how we each have over come this inconvenience, and this is wonderful! I have incorporated something from the many brilliant ideas that helps me in the now moment, until Asana comes up with a better fix (and I know they will).

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your unique brilliance! I do see us sharing ideas of how we each have over come this inconvenience, and this is wonderful! I have incorporated something from the many brilliant ideas that helps me in the now moment, until Asana comes up with a better fix (and I know they will).

Adding custom fields to the My Tasks page would be great and help towards productivity, as we could view our custom ā€œStatusā€ and ā€œPriorityā€ fields directly against our own assigned tasks.

1 Like

It drives me somewhat nuts that I cannot display any additional columns under the ā€œMy Tasksā€ section of either the Windows Desktop or browser app. I just want an easy to show the Status of all tasks that have been assigned to me across all projects. Date turned in would also be nice to display.

Under a given project view you have many options for which columns you wish to display. Why canā€™t that be done under the My Tasks section?

In order to quickly glance see the status and turned in dates of all tasks assigned to me I have to setup a specific view under each Project group that my company uses that filters to just my tasks, and then click through each project group as there appears to be no way to display tasks from multiple projects together outside of the My Tasks section (with its extremely limited group of columns available for that section).

Hi @Michael_Omernik, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a bit wild that this specific feature request has been open for nearly 5 years on this thread and it is still not implemented. I donā€™t even see the point of a My Tasks section if you canā€™t see all of the custom fields from the projects. It is beyond me how this hasnā€™t been implemented yet.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite annoying, because, at least for myself, ā€œMy Tasksā€ is what Iā€™m looking at 99% of my time spent on Asana. I have about 20 separate projects with hundreds of sections and tasks in each that are all tagged by priority (high medium low) and of course, they all funnel into my tasks. I donā€™t have time to go to each project one by one and check which tasks are more important than others. Thatā€™s the whole point of ā€œMy Tasksā€. Besides the fact that the whole righthand side of ā€œMy Tasksā€ is just empty wasted space because it wonā€™t let us put anything there. Seems like a simple solution to an easy problem that has not been addressed in years.

Asana does SO many things right but there are so many little quality of life features that have been missing for years and seem like a simple one-day patch.

4 Likes