Custom Field Copying into New Project but Can't Create Rules

I have a task with custom fields and I set up a rule to have that task add to a new project with a certain trigger. When that task is copied into the new project I can see the custom fields on the task itself. However, when I go to the customize page to create rules in the new project it says there are 0 custom fields. It seems the custom fields transfer on the task to the new project but not for the rules. Is anyone else coming across this? I do have the custom fields set as global already.

Welcome, @Tess_Matson,

This is explained by the fact that custom fields need to be added to each project in which you want them to appear.

Now if you multi-home a task (add a task to multiple projects), the task will inherit those custom fields from all projects it’s a member of. In your case that’s just the one custom field from the first project. It exists at the task level for that task, but it’s not in the second project.

You can go ahead and add the custom field to the second project, but beware: Before you do, you’ll want to go to the first project, edit that custom field there, and make sure it’s part of your org-wide custom field library (that’s a checkbox when you edit the custom field), not just local to the first project. If you do this, then Asana will know that any multi-homed projects should share the field, so there will just be one shared field with a value that can be set from either project.

You can read more about custom fields in help.asana.com if that’s not clear.

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

This worked. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.