CSV import - no start dates for import

I was really hoping to import my timeline seamlessly and find that I can’t quite do that. I have a csv with section, name, start date and end date and would like them all to import as categories with tasks, with start and end date creating duration for each task. Because ASANA seems to treat due dates as a milestones, unless you add a start date manually in each task, there does not seem to be a way to import data with tasks having a time period. Going through all of my tasks manually to add a start date is extremely time consuming. I MUST be missing something. I am used to using project management tools that have a start date and end date as a duration, and if those dates are the same it is a milestone. Can anyone give me advice?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Patty_Breslin and thank you for reaching out!

Sincere apologies for the trouble here. I’m not sure to fully understand your issue but I can confirm that it is possible to import task with Start dates using the CSV importer. Please have a look a the following Guide article to make sure you have organized your data correctly before importing it: Asana CSV Importer • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps Patty but please let me know if you need further assistance. Have a nice Friday!

Hello,
I have imported my CVS matching template in the CVS Importer guide, however when I go to Timeline view, the start dates do not show. In timeline view only Due Date is visible. What should I do to see entire duration of task in Timeline?
Thank you,
Beatrice.

I had the same problem and this feature does not work as expected. For me the import did not recognize the column with a heading of “Start Date” or “Start date”. But I could go into the “Make Changes” option after the csv file was uploaded.

Then change the column to “Start date” with a “play” symbol next to it.

You should end up with these headings:
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.18.47 AM

Start date has a little “Play” symbol next to it.

Andy

1 Like

This is definitely the correct solution, but when users label a field with the label that should match the Asana field, and Asana doesn’t read the match, it’s highly frustrating. This mismatch needs to be fixed.

1 Like

I am still experiencing the same issue with Start Date not displaying correctly. Cannot see full duration of the task on Timeline or Calendar view.

This seems to be a bug that “Start Date” is not recognized for CSV import even though it is documented in the Asana CSV import article as being a “legal” field to add

Still running into this bug - @Natalia Is there any feedback from asana on when they will address the bug?

@Galen_Swint,

Are you on a paid plan? Start date is a paid feature only.

If so, and you feel there’s a bug, I recommend:

Try these troubleshooting steps, then please 1) Report your problem by going to Report a Bug, clicking the New Topic button at the right, and following the instructions, or 2) To create a support ticket, go to www.asana.com/support (make sure you are logged in to Asana) > click the chat icon at the bottom right > type “speak to an agent” > click “Yes” > click “Something Else” > click “Create a support ticket.”

Thanks,

Larry

I am trying to figure out if I should Asana for a Ticketing System implemtation for a concert hall.
Import does not look encouraging - i have all my tasks in excel right now and what I read about dates is frightening from a 2024 perspective. I have been working with Software since 1984 - date formats used to be an issue. But that was back then. The dates in Excel use my system language to format the date. Any other product on this planet should comply to that …

Hi @Rainer_Glaap , welcome to the forum :wave:

Importing dates from Excel can be tricky but it’s totally doable as long as it is in US format and you select ‘Make changes’ before you import to make sure the mapping is correct. And remember this is a one-time operation, after which, you can enjoy the power and benefits of Asana compared to static Excel sheets.

DM me if you need any on-demand support on formatting and importing your CSV into Asana.

sorry to say but in my almost 40 years in IT i have come across so many US software packages totally oblivious of the rest of the world that i wonder how silicon valley has managed to survive. honestly.

1 Like