Creating subtasks from a meeting and assigning them to their proper tasks

When taking notes in a meeting using the description field, it’s nice to be able to go back and create subtasks based on those notes.

The problem comes when I want to then assign those subtasks to a different parent task.

For instance:

1. Create task for meeting
  2. Add notes of meeting, including next steps, into the description field of the meeting task
  3. Convert notes (aka: next steps) to subtasks in the meeting task
  4. Move subtasks from meeting task to new parent task

The only solution I found is this one…

Continuing the discussion from Converting task's subtasks into subtask's subtasks:

Has anyone else found a better solution? I’m also open to a different workflow if it makes this process easier.

Welcome, @David_Wilder,

In the meeting workflow I recommend to clients, the meeting task description starts with the agenda items. During the meeting, you add minutes/notes under each agenda item as bullets. But actionable work (not minutes/notes) are instead added either as subtasks directly, or as parent tasks in the meeting project, and assigned out after the meeting when not frantically writing.

In either case, I usually first find the new destination parent task and click the copy link to save its URL, then use the task/subtask’s “. . .” menu > Convert to > Subtask, and paste the link into the “Find a task” box because that’s quicker and more accurate that autocomplete there.

I think that’s a bit more of a streamlined workflow.

Maybe that’s of some value,

Larry

1 Like

Thanks Larry. Interesting. I find that moving from recording notes to creating subtasks (and back) is distracting for me and I loose details from the meeting, so I think I’d prefer to focus on the conversation and only take notes.

Also, in your example, wouldn’t the subtasks be disconnected from the meeting notes? Whereas if you convert a note into a subtask, that subtask is now linked in the notes section.

For instance, if I’m typing up notes using headers for agenda topics and writing out the feedback, it may look something like this…

Agenda Item 1:
Feedback item 1
Feedback item 2
Revision item 1
Revision item 2

I can now convert those revision items to subtasks and they remain linked in the notes section so it becomes…

Agenda Item 1:
Feedback item 1
Feedback item 2
Revision item 1
Revision item 2

Subtasks:
Revision item 1
Revision item 2

VS. your proposed way of only using subtasks…

Agenda Item 1:
Feedback item 1
Feedback item 2

Subtasks:
Revision item 1
Revision item 2

Your method is perfectly good, and perhaps only the last part of my reply about re-parenting the subtask is of value.

In my case, I usually don’t actually lose the subtask as the record of actionable items coming out of the meeting because I don’t re-parent it; I simply add it the project where it belongs as a top-level task. So that’s a different use case than yours. Also, I started doing this years before it was possible to convert a chunk in the description to a subtask which was only just recently added.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.